Forum

ffmpeg

Discussion of the web application that lets you watch HD videos and web content in WiiMC through VLC-Transcoding.

Moderator: ximarx

ffmpeg

Postby Jarhed » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:05 am

Is there a need to install ffmpeg or a benefit to having it installed ? I actually tried to install ffmpeg.exe but it is a dos app . I tried to set the path to ffmpeg.exe in VLC Shares setting but when I run Settings test is says failed .
Jarhed

Re: ffmpeg

Postby Jarhed » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:15 am

Got it installed....Google is your friend :) . Placing it in my vlc shares directory did the trick for some reason . (placing the .exe within it's own folder named ffmpeg)

Again...is there a benefit to running ffmpeg ?
Jarhed

Re: ffmpeg

Postby ximarx » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:23 am

vlc-shares uses ffmpeg to get information about the stream/file. This is important for 2 things:
- embedded subs (in mkv for example)
- workaround a bug in vlc: for some reason vlc has problem transcoding
h264/aac streams. As workaround for this problem must be used an alternative transcoding profile that does video transcoding and uses the original audio. So i use ffmpeg to see what kind of codecs are used by the stream and choose the right transcoding profile.

I've planned also for future release of vlc-shares to use ffmpeg to get thumbnails and allow audio switch in files with multi audio.
VLC Shares: watch HD files, HULU, Youtube, SOPCAST, RTMP, Vimeo, Veoh, DailyMotion, VideoBB, MovShare, ... in WIIMC
Last stable release (0.5.4) | Installation tutorial | Project Site | Donate!

NEWS:
Hulu.com plugin released!
ximarx

Return to VLC Shares