1.19 (and .18) – WiiMC Crashes During Playback

Home Forums Help and Support 1.19 (and .18) – WiiMC Crashes During Playback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kukuryk
    Participant

Running Wii using Samba Share to Ubuntu 10.04 Server over Wireless network. Homebrewed Wii (4.3) used the Smash Bros exploit.

I have been having this issue (it was apparent on 1.18 as well). But during playback, usually after 30-40 minutes or so, the WiiMC seems to drop the network connection and then I have to close out of WiiMC and get back in for it to work. I dunno if this is a WiiMC or just my Wii in general. But I have not done anything to my Wii for at least 6 months.

I am not sure how to get a system dump to post and will happily do so with instructions (will check the forums to see if I can find them myself). Just curious if anyone else had this type of issue and if they ever fixed it. I have a feeling it is the Wii itself dropping the connection, but not 100% sure. I also bought a land line for the network, but that is dodgy at best and slow…which is weird, probably because of the usb connection. Any rate just at my wits end and really don’t wanna drop $250 on an HTPC if I can keep this running for a bit longer. Let me know of any more information you may need.

I will update if I find anything else.

kukuryk
    Participant

I did some research and found this: http://joshhighland.com/blog/2006/11/22/nintendo-wii-wifi-problem-fixed/

My router only does g+n and I am sure that is the problem. Ordering a cheaper router with bridging capabilities to try b+g and see how it turns out. I will update once I have tested it thoroughly. If so, a simple $25 router might by my saving grace for another year or two until I can upgrade my tv 🙂

yvovy
    Participant

That Josh is high alright. Think about it – Do you think Netflix would work on the Wii if it was just wireless B? Any video at all over wireless B?

I’ve read plenty over the last year about the Wii only liking ‘mixed’ mode with some routers so you could be on the right path there. You should also see if you have any other devices on the network that could be interfering. Neighbours maybe or some household item interfering on the 2.4 Ghz frequency? How far apart are the Wii and router? Maybe a wireless N device connecting and kicking off the Wii (usually wireless routers only can do one at a time – G or N). It may not even be an ‘N’ device – I once had a Vista desktop connected via wireless G and the Wii could never connect if the Vista box was already on the network. Disconnect the Vista and bang the Wii was off and running. Could never figure that one out – no IP conflicts or anything but the Vista box kept blocking.

kukuryk
    Participant

Yea, I see your point there. As far as interference, sure I have neighbors, but they are 50ft+ away, so that could very well be and I will try switching the channel on the new router. My laptop is wireless N and I am constantly using it (as well as my wife’s). So that is probably the real problem. So adding an extra wireless router set to just G, no mixed modes that is just for the Wii should work just fine. I am going to try that and see what comes of it, as that is probably what is happening.

As far as streaming netflix, B should stream it fine depending on the Quality. I stream netflix over Sprint’s 3G all the time, they just dumb down the quality. Even on a home network it should be fine as long as you increase the buffer time, it would just take the buffer a bit longer initially.

But I think it is just the mixed modes and the N-devices causing issues ultimately, but I will find out one way or the other 🙂 Thanks for the feedback.

kukuryk
    Participant

To resolve this out, having a Wireless Router in just G Mode did fixed the issue. So a $20 router (which has a bridge mode) to talk to my main N Router fixed it right up!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password