426 Connection closed; transfer aborted.

Home Forums Help and Support 426 Connection closed; transfer aborted.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, I’m running the latest version with a filezilla FTP Server. To me it looks like the code is stuck in a loop and needs some code adding to reconnect to the ftp server. I have to reboot it get it working again.

In the WiiMC setting the FTP Server is set to active, I’m not sure if I can change this.

Have I set something up incorrectly?

p.xoni
    Participant

Filezilla ftp server is wonderful software but often requires LOTS of fiddling before you get it to exactly they way you like it. Before you have a permanent setup with WiiMC accessing it, I would test and ensure it’s working perfectly by accessing it from some other computer.

Things to consider:
    – is the ftp server service starting each time you reboot your PC, or do you have it setup as an application (which is totally fine). You might not want your ftp server to start each time you reboot, then again you might.
    – Have you created the the firewall rule to allow ftp server in access to your PC ? ftp servers talk typically on port 21
    – I would use Internet Explorer on the testing computer to probe your ftp server remotely to ensure it’s running. For some reason the ftp access in Firefox is poor
    – you can also do a “telnet 192.168.?.? 21” and see if you get a response to see if the port is listening on your ftp server.

IMO, the extra resources that your pc has to shell out to keep an ftp server running is not worth it, I find SMB a lot less resource intensive. But there are lots of other reasons where an ftp server is very useful, like for external (offsite) file access. You would then just setup a port forward on your router for “ftp server” and setup a dynamic dns server so you can find it anywhere on the internet.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Other devices can access the FTP server with no issues. Is there a better FTP Server that would work with WiiMC?

FTP Server is manually started (not running at service on boot up)

There are no firewall rules

PC running FTP Server -> PC running Connectify AP <- Wii

The Wii connects fine (most of the time), its just on random occasions it would disconnect

I cant use SMB on a domain PC, I have to type DOMAIN_NAMEUSERNAME there is no on the keyboard and I have tried adding it on the setting file

rodries
    Keymaster

The domain isn’t important for WiiMC – it will determine that automatically – it matches whatever the domain is that the server suggests.

p.xoni
    Participant

@vmail wrote:

I cant use SMB on a domain PC, I have to type DOMAIN_NAMEUSERNAME there is no on the keyboard and I have tried adding it on the setting file

Ok, understand your pain. But WiiMC does not address the Share by \computershare or \workgroupshare or \domainusername, as far as I have seen it is STRICTLY: IP, user name, password. And nothing else.

If you setup a Share on your Domain workstation, give it a name, give rights to the group “Everyone”, don’t setup any user based security of any kind, and can access the share from some other computer, ANY computer wither it’s on the domain or not, you should be OK. It kind of comes down to you using the group “Everyone” in your security tab, that is where you setup your permissions. There are a few areas to look at when setting up an SMB share (domain based or workgroup based)
    Share Tab on the folder in question (like c:userslesdownloads), make sure security to read/write to group Everyone
    And the Security Tab where you give the group Everyone, “Full Control”

What OS are you running, Win7 or XP ?
    in Win7 you also need to go to Network and Sharing / Advanced Sharing / Work Profile / Turn OFF password protected sharing. That setting is very important on Win7

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hmm, when using SMB is there a way to stop the user Joe Bloggs (another domain user) form seeing the Movies folder that WiiMC will be using?

I have Windows 7 installed.

rodries
    Keymaster

Of course. Don’t give that user any privileges for the folder.

p.xoni
    Participant

Hi vmail,

Yeh, mmmm. Not only that, you probably don’t want your share to be browsable (especially if your in a corporate / work setting) by all the other users on the network from their Explorer.

AFAK , WiiMC does not have any support for Domain Authentication, which is what you would need, but that is fine. It’s the old Workgroup network model (standard home networking setup) vs a business Domain network model. But, how about this, instead of making a general share viewable and usable by all (due to group Everyone), why not make it a hidden share! Then you would have the wonderful non-security stuff to remove the Workgroup/Domain security blocking, ASWELL making that share not viewable by other users on the network.

Let me test….. I am using WiiMC 1.1.9

Yes, made a share Test$ (add a $ to the end of a share name to make it hidden), plunk in the ip and share name Test$ into WiiMC, place a video into the share (my favourite “Shaun the Sheep”) and light up WiiMC 1.1.9. Perfect! WiiMC can wonderfully view Hidden shares.

I think you now have a proper solution for WiiMC use in a Corporate environment

Les

p.xoni
    Participant

@Tantric wrote:

Of course. Don’t give that user any privileges for the folder.

Hi Tantric,

Can WiiMC do any windows Domain Authentication ? (Corporate Environment, like Windows Server 2003 for example)

Also, AFAIK, as soon as you attach the Workstation to the Domain, all your windows Workgroup security stops. A workstation can only be attached to a Domain or Workgroup, but not both.

rodries
    Keymaster

@lelton wrote:

Can WiiMC do any windows Domain Authentication ? (Corporate Environment, like Windows Server 2003 for example)

No, it can’t. The SMB implementation is a lightweight one – it doesn’t support everything under the sun. No domains, no active directory, no NETBIOS, no kerberos, etc.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password