Anyone that is having problems with smb freezing

Home Forums Help and Support Anyone that is having problems with smb freezing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok so i have been researching this and i have a fix for all of you

this is how i did this and i dont have any problems with freezing while using smb

what i did was installed the cios 38 r14 but instead of using 249 222 250 and so on i went all the way to the bottom and selected do not install new cios or what ever it says but anyway if you have installed new cios you MUST uninstall all of them or restore your boot me then load cios38r14 and go to the very first option it is not selecting any ios if you do this you will be able to install wiimc or mplayer ce .76 and have NO issues

I hope this helps

:mrgreen:

cadbusca
    Participant

Chrisic: This is very confusing to me and I’m sure to others who have never bothered or wanted to get involved with IOS’s. I have NO IOS’s installed and don’t want to and my 5 smb’s work perfectly for me. Are you saying that your IOS’s created an smb streaming problem, and this is how you fixed it? I see no other posts reporting an smb freezing problem, so perhaps you could post their links if I missed them so I and others can better understand the background to this problem. Thank you.

rodries
    Keymaster

This makes no sense. WiiMC doesn’t use IOS38, 249, or any other IOS other than 202. None of those changes would have any effect whatsoever.

DeadlyRobots
    Participant

@jhb50 wrote:

Chrisic: This is very confusing to me and I’m sure to others who have never bothered or wanted to get involved with IOS’s. I have NO IOS’s installed and don’t want to and my 5 smb’s work perfectly for me. Are you saying that your IOS’s created an smb streaming problem, and this is how you fixed it? I see no other posts reporting an smb freezing problem, so perhaps you could post their links if I missed them so I and others can better understand the background to this problem. Thank you.

so your saying you don’t have ios 202 installed?

cadbusca
    Participant

That’s correct. You only need to Install IOS202 if you want DVD support, and there are some WII’s (the more recent ones I think) that cannot be moded to support the DVD. In my case I simply chose not to install it.

rodries
    Keymaster

You only need to install it for DVD, yes, but without it, you’re stuck on IOS36. That means no IOS-based SDHC, no improved Wifi speed/stability.

On 1.0.5, it’ll try to load IOS 61 if available.

tramadolcykv
    Participant

I am having the smb shares freezing problem too. Do you think it could be a problem with my wireless router? I can understand that ios 202 only has to do with dvd loading, so i think the first post should be disreguarded. But when thinking back i have a belkin wirless n+ router and im just wondering if the reason the video stream freezes is because of loss of packets being sent. I soon hope to buy a lan adapter for the wii to test this theory….smb share works great and if i pause it enough times, i can watch the whole movie…lol I have a hunch that its either a coding problem in wiimc or in the connection itself……..again just my random thoughts?

rodries
    Keymaster

I never ever have a SMB freeze with my lan adapter. But on wifi I do have them sometimes.

So it’s definitely related to wifi somehow. That’s all I know.

tramadolcykv
    Participant

Thats what i was thinking, and in that other forum General Discussion that i posted, about netflix, this is what i meant. For some reason, it sometimes does the same thing, i have gone through a whole movie on netflix and havent had to reload the cache for the movie[buffer] but it is very rare. What i meant was decompile how netflix uses their “rebufferer” lol to buffer and find out what is causing it. I dont know, i know you guys are a hell of alot more smarter when it comes to this sh!t, there are just too many variables for me to troubleshoot right now. I would like to say that i played an avi completely this time and then went to play the file i was trying to earlier and it froze and just rebooted my wii. I would assume that my case is file related as of this point, but i have to admit if there were a problem with wifi it could be f’ing with it…..Thanks tantric….lates

niksy
    Participant

It can be related with IOS, but I have installed 202 IOS, and MPlayer-CE 0.76 works fine and without any hangs, and all the other versions of MPlayer-CE (including 0.77) and all the versions of WiiMC freeze, hangs or core dump with Wifi and SMB. So, also there must be an issue with WiiMC.

I can try to perform some tests with IOS, ¿Do you think it will help with this issue, or it will be a waste of time?

It’s very frustrating because it’s imposible for me using WiiMC to see a complete film, and this player it’s simply amazing. I hope this issue can be solved in the future.

DeadlyRobots
    Participant

@fcuenca wrote:

It can be related with IOS, but I have installed 202 IOS, and MPlayer-CE 0.76 works fine and without any hangs, and all the other versions of MPlayer-CE (including 0.77) and all the versions of WiiMC freeze, hangs or core dump with Wifi and SMB. So, also there must be an issue with WiiMC.

I can try to perform some tests with IOS, ¿Do you think it will help with this issue, or it will be a waste of time?

It’s very frustrating because it’s imposible for me using WiiMC to see a complete film, and this player it’s simply amazing. I hope this issue can be solved in the future.

noted… its already on the bugs list

http://www.wiimc.org/tracker/index.php?do=details&task_id=137

tramadolcykv
    Participant

fcuenca- from what i read, tantric says that it has to be something with wifi, he has his stable enough that he can watch a movie almost always with the lan adapter, but when it is just using wifi, he gets code dumps and freezing. Again IOS 202 issues are only DVD related, i did notice when i was playing a movie and it did crash, that my setting for cache fill was set to like 30 or 40, i dont remember what it was default to. Then just to see if it helped any i set it higher, to 100 and then back to 90, and it did help, but didnt fix it. I know im completely new to this game but my understanding of how things work lead me to believe that its just something in the coding, and the wifi stability(alot like the netflix cache buffer) so sometime in the future, with alot of extensive testing and research, we will figure it out.

jamied486
    Participant

Just to note that I too am noticing freezes and lockups whilst playing an AVI over an SMB share. From my observations, I am inclined to confirm the suspicion that it is related to the wifi connection.

Admittedly, my SMB share is on an ASUS wl700ge, and there may issues with it’s performance or ability to feed wiimc the data quickly enough (though I’m not so sure about that part).

When it does happen it is similar to watching digital TV when the signal drops out and it clicks and splutters and the video freezes. Most times wiimc crashes with a dump on the screen and says “restarting in 8 seconds”. The restart does not always work. We have to hard boot the wii sometimes.

One thing that would be good is if wiimc would update the resume marker periodically as the file is playing so that if a crash occurs, the resume point is closer to where it crashed.

Overall, it works very very well. Wiimc has made the purchase of the Wii truly worthwhile from my point of view even with it’s couple of problems.

Thanks

ezwiimc

cadbusca
    Participant

Just for information, there has been a lot of discussion and attempts to further test and analyse this problem in the General forum under Coincidence at http://www.wiimc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=554 and on the #137 bug tracker at http://www.wiimc.org/tracker/index.php?do=details&task_id=137

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password