Aspect Ratios

Home Forums Help and Support Aspect Ratios

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    straps
    Participant

Hey, love the interface, streets ahead of MPlayer CE, unfortunately the aspect ratio is incorrect on the many AVIs I have tried. Haven’t seen anyone else bring it up, but 4:3 aspect programs are being stretched, on auto setting and 4:3 “forced”, and 16:9 aspect, while more difficult to detect, also appears to be slightly wrong. MPlayer CE gets it right everytime, no matter what the ratio of the file. I can give more info if needed.

samuelfy
    Participant

I have a different problem with aspect ratios. No matter what file I play, and regardless of any of the forced settings, the player will always stretch the video to fullscreen. Auto, 4:3, 16:9 etc. don’t work. The only workaround I’ve found is decreasing/increasing the screen zoom as necessary.

straps
    Participant

That sounds like the same problem tbh. 4:3 ratio AVIs played from my harddrive are, as you say, stretched to fullscreen (or close to it) and 16:9 ratio AVIs are stretched wider than they should be, made obvious by the channel logo appearing much closer to the border on some ex-TV AVIs. Changing between 50 Hz and 60 Hz on the Wii settings effects the output, but does not solve the problem. 60 is better than 50, as 50 seems to make the picture zoomed in more. As I said in my first post, MPlayer CE outputs all my AVIs in the correct original ratio without any problems, and is not effected by the Pal or NTSC settings. I have yet to try playing around with the zoom settings, but will do so soon.

rick
    Participant

For me, 16:9 videos are always a little narrower than they should be, squishing the video, squishing everyone’s faces. I tried changing WiiMC’s aspect ratio settings from Auto to 16:9, but it didn’t seem to do anything.

rodries
    Keymaster

Go into the video settings and change the horizontal or vertical zoom level.

rick
    Participant

Thanks Tantric. I just brought the horizontal zoom up 15%, and it looks about right. Just wondering if it’s cropping the image, because the black bars at the sides are still in the same place. Is the problem that the Wii itself isn’t 16:9? Is there some way to get it to fill the screen fully and remove the black bars? Instead of increasing the horizontal zoom, should I decrease the vertical zoom?

rodries
    Keymaster

I don’t know what to tell you, the aspect ratio is correct for me without any adjustment.

rick
    Participant

I went into the TV’s settings, and switched the picture from 1:1 to “panoramic”. That got rid of the black bars on the sides, filling the screen, but the aspect ratio still wasn’t quite right, so I reduced the vertical zoom by 10%… Finally, Stephen Colbert’s head is the right shape.

Still, I wonder why it’s not getting the aspect ratio right. It seems to be playing 16:9 videos at 16:10.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password