AVI files in Wiimc

Home Forums Help and Support AVI files in Wiimc

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Poe6661
    Participant

I posted a problem on WiiHacks, and wanted to run it by this forum. The details of my original post are below, but in summary, I have hundreds of home moves that were made with our camera. The camera produced them as avi files. Long story short, when these files are played in WiiMC, it crashes the Wii. It was suggested by a user in WiiHacks that it may be an unsupported codec in the avi file. These avi files are using a codec of MJPG. I tried converting some of the avi files to DivX, and they played perfect. Before I go and convert hundreds of home movies to DivX, is the Wii crashing expected when playing the original avi files with codec of MJPG?

Thanks in advance for any additional help!!

==================================Original Post on WiiHacks ====================================

I have a problem playing avi videos on the wii. I have searched and searched for an answer, but have found none. Here are the details: I have a ton of home videos shot with our camera that produces avi files. I originally installed wiimc v1.0.4. The avi vidoes played, but they were very choppy, and the sound was way off of the action. When wiimc v1.0.5 came out, I installed the new version and the new IOS 202. I had no problems with v1.0.5 seeing my USB drive, so I tested the avi files. Now, it crashed the wii with a core dump. When v1.0.6 came out, I tried a couple of things:

1. Installed wiimc v1.0.6 with the new IOS 202. Played an avi and it crashed the wii
    2. Downgraded IOS 202 to Hermes version 5.1, and tried playing an avi in v1.0.6. Crashed the wii.
    3. Converted an .avi to .mp4 format. Played in wiimc v1.0.6 with new CIOS 202. Crashed the wii.
    4. Other .mp4 (purchased from iTunes) play just fine in v1.0.4, v1.0.5, and v1.0.6 of wiimc, and looks great.
    5. Tried playing avi in MplayerCE. Crashed the wii.
    6. Tried playing avi in Wiixplor. Got message of ‘unable to play file’ or something very similar.
    7. Tried playing avi via smb on a different computer. Crashed the wii.

I will add that the avi files that crash the wii play just fine on a computer.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! This is the only thing holding me back from having my wii be a total multi-media solution for me.

I am running CIOS38V17 and Hermes 5.1 custom IOS except for 202 which I am running the latest from wiimc.

LoTeK
    Participant

Try running mediainfo on one of the problematic files

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

This will give us more information

also run mediainfo on files that do play correctly on your wii and see if there is any differences in spec e.t.c

Poe6661
    Participant

I downloaded Mediainfo, and compared all 3 file types. I exported to an Excel file and have the info. from all 3 side by side. I am not an expert at what I am looking at, but I find it hard to compare because there are fields that exist in one file type that are not in others. Is there anything specific I should be looking for?

I have attached the xls file here. The xls file has one video in avi, mp4, and divx formats. All types crash the wii except divx.

Thanks!

rodries
    Keymaster

The files aren’t attached.

Poe6661
    Participant

Sorry about that! Here it is.

[attachment=0:nv7kqg74]3 File Comparrison.rar[/attachment:nv7kqg74]

rodries
    Keymaster

Looking at that data, I don’t believe the codec (MJPG) is the problem. MPlayer supports that fine. The problem is that it’s 86 MB for 48 seconds of video! The re-encoded one is only 6 MB for the same 48 seconds. My gut feeling is that amount of data for that number of seconds is causing your crash. So yes, I would recommend re-encoding. Probably not a bad idea anyway, considering the amount of space you’d save. 😉

Poe6661
    Participant

I didn’t even think of the file size difference. That is quite a savings in space!

Thank you for taking a look!

btw, I love WiiMc!! It is a fantastic media player!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password