Buffer percentage

Home Forums Help and Support Buffer percentage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lokiMidgard
    Participant

Hi all, I would like to get some advice as to what is the ideal maximum buffer percentage for WiiMC. I am on a 1.5 Mbps connection, which is not fast but can generally stream videos, netflix, etc just fine. Sometimes WiiMC will buffer constantly every few seconds unless I pause for a bit then play. I want to try increasing the buffer but, will it hurt anything else by taking away the available cache?

lowell
    Participant

No. The buffer is the buffer and you don’t take anything away from anything by increasing or decreasing it.

lokiMidgard
    Participant

OK I just wanted to make sure because I would think that there would be no reason for the buffer to be below 100% if nothing else need the cache.

rodries
    Keymaster

Sure, if you don’t mind waiting for the buffer to completely fill. This cache % setting is actually what % is filled before playback begins. If possible the buffer will fill itself completely while the video is playing, regardless of what % you set. Same goes if you pause the video for example – the buffer will be filling and will fill to the full 8MB even if you set 10%.

cadbusca
    Participant

So just to be clear, 8megabytes=64megabits so for a typical DVD quality MPEG2 vid at 4mbps, the buffer holds about 16 seconds of video. … and if the buffer empties we get a white spinning circle while the buffer fills again to the settings %age. Is that correct?

lokiMidgard
    Participant

OK so that explains it clearly. There is just one other thing though that I dont quite get. (Granted I only have ~1.5Mbps connection and there is no telling what other bottlenecks I have with my wireless G router.) If I start to play a video stream from say Navi-x or shoutcast and all of a sudden it gets stuck in a loop of buffering and playing every split second- would that sound like my network is too slow, the stream server being too slow, or simply a stream that the Wii’s processor cannot handle? Thanks for the responses so far.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password