Buffering Problems 1.0.6

Home Forums Help and Support Buffering Problems 1.0.6

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ezwiimc
    Participant

When i am using WiiMC to play media from any streaming source (Navi-X or ShoutCast) WiiMC will bring up a buffering screen and then play the media, but when it does this it does not buffer it at all or (rarely) it buffers it for a couple of seconds in which i scrample to pause it so that it may buffer properly and play well otherwise WiiMC seems to go crazy (WiiMote will randomly vibrate for 3-30 seconds, video will freeze as well as the bottom bar and wont show it or the WiiMote pionter, and plays sounds of the video every 3-4 seconds) and i am forced to turn it of and turn it back on manually to try again. The only way i can get it to work is when it gives me a couple of seconds to pause it in order for it to buffer properly and then that only lasts for about 40-50 min. Am i the only one who has this problem and do i need do downgrade to a lower version?

cadbusca
    Participant

I have not seen this behaviour. Did it start with 1.0.6 or was it there with 1.0.4 as well? Also what streams can did it happem with so I can try and duplicate. I have made other posts regarding my buffering experiences and you may wish to read and post more info. http://www.wiimc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=631 http://www.wiimc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=624 http://www.wiimc.org/tracker/index.php?do=details&task_id=173

Sw0rdiX
    Participant

I can report a similar situation with SMB buffering also.

Once the video catches up to real-time the image glitches, the buffering message appears, buffers to 99%, messed up image moves slightly accompanied by gargled audio, buffering message appears again, fills, video remains unrecognisable and locked, random glitchy sounds with brief periods of silence, buffer message appears again though this time sits at 1%, disappears after a while, same happens with the sound, buffering message appears, 1%, rinse and repeat.

During this time of gargled sounds and images Wiimc doesn’t respond to wiimote input, constantly pressing a specific button will yield results 20% of the time. Leaving it does not rectify the situation no matter how long you let it try, it’s best to forcefully shut down the wii and cut your loses.

cadbusca
    Participant

How many times does it need to be pointed out that these problems are usaually video or stream pacific. There is no point in saying there are buffering problems with Onlinevideo or with SMB because its simply not true. Most onlinestreams and videos over SMB play fine, so if you are having problems, don’t bother to post them until you have pinned it down to a specific stream or a specific video that can be used to repeat the problem and then provide those details so others can try and duplicate it. In both of these posts the problem would appear to be that the stream and video exceed the WII’s limited ability to play them which is extensively described elsewhere.

Sw0rdiX
    Participant

@jhb50 wrote:

problem would appear to be that the stream and video exceed the WII’s limited ability to play them which is extensively described elsewhere.

I can’t say this describes my situation at all as I was able to play the video I had problems with in earlier versions just fine, and even 1.0.6 was able to play it, that is until it caught up to real-time and buffering began. It just seems that instead of either crashing, going out of sync or simply continuing on after buffering like older versions, it instead does a strange buffer, glitch, buffer loop which it can’t clear up.

Just to clarify, this isn’t a specific video file problem, as I explained, I was able to play videos on previous releases (1.0.3 and lower) and 1.0.6 too seems content in playing them as well, it’s just when it hits a buffering point during the playback itself that things go awry.

Oh well, I’m good with sticking to 1.0.3 and will keep checking with newer releases when they appear in the hopes that these phantom problems which seem to pop up, but apparently shouldn’t, are gone.

jamied486
    Participant

I agree with yuuichi.

If wiimc weren’t able to play the files then they wouldn’t play at all would they, or does a lack of support for a file format simply mean that it will play it, just not reliably.

I have files that appear to play fine for a while and then, perhaps because I am using an SMB connection to my overworked asus wl700ge, either the connection it too slow, or something similar and wiimc get’s into contortions trying to buffer the next chunk.

I’ve found that on the rare occasion that I can hit “home” to get back to a menu when this happens, simply resuming the video juts resumes the same problem, as if wiimc has it cached, or hasn’t emptied the buffer somehow.

If, in this scenario, I drop back to the wii system menu, and then go back into wiimc and resume, then all is fine, for a while until the whole shebang starts again.

The file I most recently had problems with was a cleanly re-encoded divx AVI file at a resolution of 606×360. As I said above, it played, but then stopped working after a short while (just over 10 minutes).

ezwiimc

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password