cannot initialize network

Home Forums Help and Support cannot initialize network

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bichomtz
    Participant

ive been very happily using wiimc for a couple weeks now, and everything worked fine. lately ive been watching doctor who episodes via a network share, and today it started to freeze up, the video and audio would pause, and the whole thing would be unresponsive, then after a little while i would hear fast-forwarding noises, like little screeches from sped up audio, and eventually the player would pick back up where it left off. i figured it was just a glitch or whatever, and it did it again but was taking a really long time to correct itself, so i turned off the wii using the button on the console, turned it back on, and loaded wiimc, except it just hangs at the initializing network screen, and after 10 minutes or so (a ridiculously long timeout at any rate) it tells me it failed.

i suspect a hardware issue, but i really dont know. in the internet settings of the wii, it sees the connection at full strength, and about 3 times out of 5 it will give a success message for testing it, but wiimc fails every time. ive gotten the forecast channel to work successfully, only tried it once and it worked.

any help would be nice, thanks.

bichomtz
    Participant

i tried to stream some video again today. the first time wiimc hung at initializing network screen, so i turned off the wii and tried again, and it worked, successfully streaming, so i restarted the wii again and tried, and again it worked, so once more i restarted, and then it could not initialize the network. so 2 times out of 4 it worked. and it should also be noted that this network connection problem is not limited to only wiimc but every channel and homebrew app that uses the internet.

cadbusca
    Participant

You are not alone! I too have similar issues.

While developing my Enhancement Packs, I do a lot of testing which involves starting, restarting and reloading WIIMC. In fact I have about 10 different WIIMC version/feature combinations on my HB menu, which can be done by renaming the app and changing the name in meta.xml Anyway while doing that I get a lot of variability in the “initialize network” function, which btw is not WIIMC code, AFAICT but code common to HB apps.

Consecutive boots within minutes can initialize:

1) Immediately.
    2) Give a failure message after ~ 30 seconds but then if I cancel, I find my shares are connected, so there was no need to retry.
    3) Hangs on Initialize message, in which case I check the Internet channel and usually find that it cannot connect either because my WII connection has been lost at my router, and I need to reset the router.

I can find no reason for this. I had hoped to be able to change the wait time before the “unable to initialize” message because if it cannot connect immediately, it seems it never will so I really don’t want to wait 30 seconds to find out, but that code is beyond my grade level. I also do not understand how the code on the WII can wipe out the WII connection in my router but it happens frequently enough that it is not a random problem.

There is an icon in the lower right corner of the Homebrew menu that I think indicates if the network is connected. I think it blinks if there is no connection but I have not investigated this. Makes sense if it is blinking not to try WIIMC.

I’d appreciate any insight others can bring to this issue.

bichomtz
    Participant

its really nice to know im not the only one. did you change any settings with your router or wii internet settings? i had changed nothing at all, it just suddenly stopped working.
    also, wiimc does not time out after 30 seconds for me, i get the error message after several minutes, seems close to 10.

cadbusca
    Participant

I did not change any settings. But I’ve done some more testing and it seems if you are quick on the draw and load WIIMC before the network icon on the HB menu stops blinking you will likely have problems. Wait for the HB channel to connect then WIIMC seems to work fine. Perhaps this is something that WIIMC can fix..ie: do not try and connect WIIMC if HBC is not connected yet, but maybe HBC will not complete its connection if WIIMC has started. I had WIIMC failing to connect so I went back to HBC and it was still blinking and then stopped when I went back, then WIIMC started fine, so it looks like there is some connection there.

cadbusca
    Participant

Just to confirm my experience, if I wait until the HBC network icon stops blinking before starting WIIMC, I no longer have connect problems, but I also note that HBC 1.0.7 which I just installed “Fixed the retry mechanism for the network initialization”, so perhaps the fix was there. http://www.hackmii.com/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password