Choppy playback of MKV files over SMB

Home Forums Help and Support Choppy playback of MKV files over SMB

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    MetalKettle
    Participant

Hello:

I am trying to replace MPlayer_CE with WiiMC. All of my videos are encoded as MKV files, Mpeg-4 ffmpeg at 1500 kbps video bitrate, and AAC audio at 192 kbps bitrate. When opening the files from a SMB share, they are fine in MPlayer_CE. But with WiiMC they pause every 20 seconds or so, then continue playing. Is there a way to get WiiMC to play back a little smoother? I tried adjusting the buffer to 100% and still no luck. Thank you!

rodries
    Keymaster

There’s nothing you can do, aside from re-encoding those files.

cadbusca
    Participant

This implies that the WIIMC player is inferior to MPlayerCE and is the second post that claims MPlayerCE is able to play mpeg4 videos that WIIMC cannot. It would be nice to understand why WIIMC cannot do as good a job as MPlayerCE.

rodries
    Keymaster

I’d like to know too. If you find out, let me know.

And if you prefer MPlayer CE over WiiMC, I’m not stopping you from using it. Personally I find WiiMC is “good enough” for my needs – so you won’t see me working on improving performance much. rodries will probably do some work in this area, however.

aka107
    Participant

@jhb50 wrote:

This implies that the WIIMC player is inferior to MPlayerCE and is the second post that claims MPlayerCE is able to play mpeg4 videos that WIIMC cannot. It would be nice to understand why WIIMC cannot do as good a job as MPlayerCE.

@Tantric wrote:

I’d like to know too. If you find out, let me know.

And if you prefer MPlayer CE over WiiMC, I’m not stopping you from using it. Personally I find WiiMC is “good enough” for my needs – so you won’t see me working on improving performance much. rodries will probably do some work in this area, however.

Yes, I’ll try to improve wiimc. The base is the same, in 1.1.0 we improve performance because we found that mem1 is needed by mplayer so Tantric & me improve mem stuff. Also we move bss to mem2 to have more space in mem1 for mplayer code.
    I’d like that you test the mpeg4 videos with mplayerce r600 (http://mplayer-ce.googlecode.com/files/mplayer_r600.zip) because in r600 bss is in mem2 too, so we can compare it.
    At now all my videos that play fine in mpce play fine in wiimc, I need a video that works fine in mpce but not in wiimc last beta. I only need 1 or 2 minutes, you can send the file to rodries _at_ wiimc.org.
    Also Extrems is adding paired functions to ffmpeg so he is improving ffmpeg lib for the wii.
    When he finish his great work I’ll port his code to wiimc.

rodries
    Keymaster

We’ve added some new code to WiiMC that will probably help you with videos like this one.

cadbusca
    Participant

Thank you both for the focus on this. It was the one remaining weak area for me. I’ll try and test as you have requested.

MetalKettle
    Participant

I recently tried 1.1.2, and am happy to report that all of my issues with choppy playback are solved! I noticed in the changelog that performance issues were addressed. In fact, I’ve noticed that 1.1.2 plays back smoother than mplayer_ce 0.80. Thanks to everybody, this player is by far the best for the wii in my opinion because it’s fast, easy to install (channel installer also works great), has a nice interface and lots of features. Thanks!!

heim
    Participant

0.80 is only the current release target.
    You must be on r636 (or even r619), the latest is r648.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password