CREATE A SMALL SERVER JUST FOR WIIMC

Home Forums Feature Suggestions CREATE A SMALL SERVER JUST FOR WIIMC

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    WyRm
    Participant

tantric has confirmed that he will not support domain shares (NEVER EVER). So I suggest making a small server that would run and supply WiiMC with the protocol it needs. It would be a program that is only friendly to WiiMC and WiiMC will always be able to find the server on the network. I have tried running small ftp server’s with no luck (FTP sucks its so flighty). This is a good suggestion because it would not only fix my problem, but many others that are having connectivity problems. this could be a quick and easy fix.

http://www.wiimc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=119&p=485#p485

Didier
    Participant

Can’t you just make the share available to “Everyone” on the domain as a read only share?

WyRm
    Participant

Thank you for your post! what credentials would i put in the WiiMC for everyone? This sound similar to the any button. I cant ever find the d@mn thing. am i making this hard? Its a good idea!

WyRm
    Participant

Tried with everyone permission. even turned on public sharing. I just left the username pass blank and NOTHING. good try though 😉

Didier
    Participant

Do you have a guest account enabled? You could try that. Sorry, I’m a programmer not a domain admin… I only deal with that stuff when absolutely necessary.

WyRm
    Participant

THank you for your post chad. Yes I have tried enabling guest. Any account made on a domain (including guest) must be logged in as @domain(or domain). which will not work with wiimc. I have read several other articles that state as part of the domain security you will be unable to have anonymous logins. 🙁

Matoking
    Participant

I know this is not going to make all the windows people too happy, but why not just get a little linux box and have it run samba (or get adventurous and make it your PDC). I have a Western Digital MyBook World edition (750GB mirror raid) and it is the main storage for my network.

It is a headless network device that runs a specialized linux OS. But here is the great part, you can google and find a way to get other software on it and enable ssh access. From here the sky is the limits (oh and the ram and baby cpu heh). But realy you can configure samba how ever you want and bam your done. No more fighting with the misguided windows firewall nor the windows permissions game.

Again this will prolly not make the windows people too happy as there really is not a nice point and click way to do this, but if you put in the little bit of time to get it running you’ll love it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Lost Password