DVD over SMB

Home Forums Help and Support DVD over SMB

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all,

Since my regular DVD player stopped working I thought trying the following:

– I got a connection through SMB which works fine and can see the DVD player on my PC. Putting in a DVD with all .AVI files works perfectly and even playing directly from that DVD player shows them flawless on my TV through the Wii. Now putting in a DVD with a movie on it, I can only see the VIDEO_TS folder and after that it shows nothing so I can’t run the VIDEO_TS file that should be in that folder.

– Copying all to a shared network drive, again I can access it perfectly from the Wii, and playing the listed .AVI files again without a hitch. When I copy the VIDEO_TS folder to the shared folder on the PC I can access the VIDEO_TS folder again and this time I can actually see the VIDEO_TS file inside the VIDEO_TS folder and what’s even better: I can run it as well. But at this point, the stream keeps buffering every 15 seconds or so so it’s not the result I’m after.

The questions:

– Why does playing the .AVI directly from the DVD work and the .VOB not? (Or: why doesn’t it show the vob files?)
    – Why does it buffer so often when playing the VOB files from the harddisk? Does this purely have to do with the filesize of the VOB? If so, I’ll expect the same result with playing directly from the DVD player and won’t have to bother.
    – Does anyone know a solution to play a DVD with the combination of a Wii with a new DVD player (too new) and a PC without having to compress and/or copy them first to HD?

Thanks for your time.

Léon

bobnabob
    Participant

Hi,Click the film icon before you browse your smb shared Dvd drive and see if your files show up inside the Video_TS. You may be browsing in music mode and they will not show up.All mine show up fine.
    Try this!!

Creo
    Participant

I have found that the wireless networking built into the Wii is not fast enough to keep up with DVD Mpeg2 video, even with good network signal strength. I found that I have to use wired networking (with a USB-Ethernet adaptor) to get good performance with DVD Video. The wireless networking in the Wii will keep up with a more compressed (lower bitrate) video stream such as Divx/Xvid. Note that the Wii may run into problems and not keep up with modern, highly compressed video such as H264/Mpeg4.

Regards

Peter

bobnabob
    Participant

I don’t think I would be so quick to blame the Wii’s Wifi.All-though you may be correct. I have personaly found mine to be pretty fast.The problems i have found many times to be true are problems instead with the wifi of the Router and/or network card on the Server PC.These are my personal findings,I have 3 Servers,The fastest being my slowest PC with eithernet cable to router/Wifi to Wii.2nd fastest: PC with D-link wireless adapter to router/Wifi to Wii.3rd and sometimes will crash is my fastest PC with linksystem wireless adapter to router/Wifi to Wii.Then i also used to have a cisco router that I couldn’t even get netflix to stream and threw it away.

p.xoni
    Participant

You might try just attaching a usb DVD drive to the Wii, then using the DVD button within WiiMC. Many DVD’s work just fine, this link might help.

http://www.wiimc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1626

marwan330
    Participant

Another possible solution, which… is totally untested on my side, is using VLC on your computer and pushing the video stream to your Wii (instead of just viewing the DVD on your PC). Below is the link on how to set it up, it’s the very first item in the link.

http://www.wiimc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=405

VLC will play DVD’s quite nicely (Media / Open Disk) then choose Stream and go through that menu to push out a network stream. The above link helps you do this. I think even the most recent versions of VLC will even do Blu-Ray movies as well 🙂 Well that is assuming you have an expensive BluRay drive in your PC.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password