Less buffering!

Home Forums Feature Suggestions Less buffering!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Didier
    Participant

Not sure what libraries are providing the streaming functionality, but the experience of fast forwarding and rewinding is pretty negative due to the excessive buffering.

fishears
    Participant

@chad wrote:

Not sure what libraries are providing the streaming functionality, but the experience of fast forwarding and rewinding is pretty negative due to the excessive buffering.

Are you watching via SMB? I do and the buffering takes around 2-3 secs. Check your wireless connectivity, it may be weak.

rodries
    Keymaster

That’s configurable. Check the cache options. Of course there’s a reason for buffering – stability.

Didier
    Participant

Thanks Tantric, I’ll mess around with the settings. I understand the need for buffering, it just seems that there could be some optimization done in terms of leaving more in the buffer for faster rw/ff performance. Maybe not.. *shrug*

2-3 seconds of buffering whenever I hit the D-pad left makes having to jump back two minutes take an extra 10-20 seconds… that’s annoying. Going back 5 minutes would add ~30 seconds… not ideal at all. If that *is* desirable performance in your eyes, I’ll have to agree to disagree.

~c

Mungali
    Participant

Can’t be instant!

Didier
    Participant

I’ve been flipping back and forth between my XBMC and this, and watching how the buffering works. Theirs is definitely optimized and buffers very quickly, but I realized that the time difference isn’t the problem. It’s the way the buffering is presented to the user.

When I select a movie file from the list, and a small insignificant throbber starts pulsing off in one of the corners, and maybe says “buffering…” in really tiny letters next to it, I can see what’s happening during the unavoidable pause as the file is buffered. However, when there is suddenly a big BRIGHT WHITE, HIGH CONTRAST, message stating “Buffering” across the middle of the screen with a PROGRESS BAR the WIDTH OF my BIG ASS TV, I feel sort of inclined to think that I’ll be waiting a while.

I’ve read in various posts that it is a goal of this project to make a Wii media center application that is user friendly and approachable. I think putting extra effort into creating the perception of speed and fluidity would definitely be a huge step in that direction.

asegura074
    Participant

… Get a better wireless connection. I buffer constantly over a wireless network using SMB shares for movies, music and tv shows and at most I wait around 2-3 seconds. When it comes to rewind or fast forwarding its usually 1-2 seconds. Think about it logically… your transmitting data over a wireless connection to another device. It keeps around 20sec or so locally on the Wii and the rest is a constant stream. If you cant wait that long improve your wireless router, move your wii closer to your computer or buy a network capable media center for a few hundred bucks. To say he has to trick you into thinking your not waiting that long is ridiculous. If the “big” bar is bugging you buy a smaller TV; problem solved. To Tantric keep up the good work.

Didier
    Participant

OK, that’s a complete BS response. I switched off wiiMC and went back to my XBMC… I think tantric’s doing a find job of making mplayer look better on the Wii, I just think I’m looking for a more polished experience, and XBMC still has it.

As for saying that creating a user interface that hides the warts a little better is a bad idea, you’re obviously not in the software business. Definitely not in the UI design business anyway…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Less buffering!’ is closed to new replies.

Login

Lost Password