movie files with imdb covers

Home Forums Feature Suggestions movie files with imdb covers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, an suggestion allow us to select movies with covers and view movie descriptions, etc using imdb database ,something like thumbnailer that searches imdb for covers based on the file names, Best.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Similar to ‘Boxee’ for example image below, we all hope to get an answer from wiimc team, to see if this request is possible in a next update.

rodries
    Keymaster

No, not a simple thing, so you won’t see it in the next update. And I don’t know when or if this will ever happen.

deadzoro
    Participant

The biggest issue with covers for movies, I would assume, is that, unlike with USB loaders for games, there’s no standardized naming convention for movies. The easiest ways around this would be to either have some sort of cross-reference running in the background that searches a particular database for cover art based on tags created by the filename (which could substantially slow down WiiMC, and possibly require a dedicated server to house said database, to maintain image quality and consistency of resolution/file type), require a standardized naming format for all video files (based on whatever service is being used to collect the cover art), or maintenance of cover art on a personal basis (ie, you download the images yourself, and store them in a specific folder on your SD card, and rename the movie and art to match each other). Anyway you go, it seems like a pain in the ass, for not much gain. Yeah, it looks pretty, but WiiMC looks pretty anyway, compared to other options on Wii. I don’t think Tantric, et al, are trying to make the ultimate, be-all-end-all media application. I think they’re trying to make the best media app for Wii, which they’re already miles ahead on.

The only half-way reasonable solution I can come up with that would satisfy those wanting some sort of art, and yet not be a total PITA for everyone writing the thing would be some sort of option to grab a thumbnail from each file. But again- do you house the thumbnails persistently, or have them generated at the start of each WiiMC session (which would take a lot longer to load)?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Lost Password