Need help with SMB and XP

Home Forums Help and Support Need help with SMB and XP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    KCMT
    Participant

Hi folks,

I’ve followed the excellent sticky above (thx for that :)). But some things are very different in XP and I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be aiming for sometimes.

Step 4 could be the problem, I couldn’t find anything like that in XP.

I think I have set up a static IP successfully, I have tried the ipconfig console command and it comes up. I also think I’ve set my folder to be shared. It’s called Films, when I click on ‘My Network Places’ there is a folder called Films on Pc1.

I’ve got the Default gateway, DNS server, and subnet mask correct i think.

I’ve put the details into WiiMC.

So perhaps it’s a user password thing? Perhaps I still have one?

When trying to access the folder WiiMC simply says ‘Failed to connect to Network Share’

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Cheers

cadbusca
    Participant

So what did you put in your SMB setup?
    IP address?
    Films?
    You don’t need a password, but you may need to set security for the PC share to everyone.

KCMT
    Participant

Hi again,

I’m being stupid here, I’m new to all this. For some reason I assumed this would work over WiFi somehow. Although my Gateway is WiFi I’m guessing WiiMC needs an ethernet connection from my network into the Wii.

Is this right? Or am I still confused.

Basically, I have no way of getting a cable from my Gateway to the Wii. Are there any solutions? Homeplugs perhaps? Or is there some WiFi option? I do have the Wii connecting to the internet via WiFi.

Thanks

aka107
    Participant

@Halloween Jack wrote:

Hi again,

I’m being stupid here, I’m new to all this. For some reason I assumed this would work over WiFi somehow. Although my Gateway is WiFi I’m guessing WiiMC needs an ethernet connection from my network into the Wii.

Is this right? Or am I still confused.

Basically, I have no way of getting a cable from my Gateway to the Wii. Are there any solutions? Homeplugs perhaps? Or is there some WiFi option? I do have the Wii connecting to the internet via WiFi.

Thanks

You can use the wifi without problems
    See this post: http://www.wiimc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1300

KCMT
    Participant

Ah yes, I did follow that sticky. I haven’t got it working though. It didn’t mention WiFi at all so I thought I’d assumed too much and it assumed you had an ethernet connection.

So if WiiMC does use the Wii’s Wifi connection, does that mean it would work in the same way whether the Wii was connected via ethernet cable or WiFi?

I guess that means I’ve got it wrong at the PC end of things, probably as it’s XP and the guide is 7, some bits were very different.

So basically, If the Wii can access the internet via WiFi and my gateway, and I have my PC’s IP address and the folder’s name all in setup, can I assume the problem is on the PC?

That would narrow it down a lot. 🙂

KCMT
    Participant

Hi there, I still can’t get it working.

Here’s a run down of the situation:

I have WiiMC up and running, working well with USB. The Wii also connected successfully via Wifi to my network.

I have a THOMSON TG585 v7 and a PC running XP Home connected by cable to the gateway.

I have created a shared folder on C drive called share1, inside is a test AVI that worked from USB. This folder is visible in ‘My Network Places’ as ‘share1 on Pc1’.

I have one username on the PC but no password, the PC boots straight to desktop, not via a user/password page.

I have Kaspersky IS firewall.

I have set my PC with a static IP.

In WiiMC Settings/Network:

Display name: share1
    Share IP: the PC’s IP, it is the same as when I type IPconfing in a console.
    Share name: share1
    Username: blank (tried my user too)
    Password: blank

And I just keep getting ‘Failed to connect to network share’

I’ve have tried turning off the firewall (haven’t opened the SMB ports yet but figured I’d try turning it off first to see if it worked)

I’ve also tried to open the ports in the gateway, but I’m not sure about the procedure for this. Or even if it needs to be done, the Wii goes to the net fine.

Could this be the problem? the gateway keeps asking for a game or application to use the ports, not sure about this.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I’ve been working at this for days

Cheers

KCMT
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve now got it working while PC is in Safe Mode but not in normal with Firewall off.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Cheers

hello2000
    Participant

Are you sure you’re disabling all the firewalls you have on your PC, the Windows one and a 3rd party one you might have installed, for example if your antivirus also does firewall. Try disabling everything that might be working as firewall.

Just to be on the safe side, as you’re disabling firewalls, try to disconnect your router from the internet (shares work without it, just keep the router on so local network works) so you can be sure nothing of bad enters your computer while firewalls are off.

Then, try to enable a firewall at a time (suggestion: enable windows one first) and check if it works, then try enabling the second firewall (if you have one, for example the antivirus specially if it’s a paid version – they usually include firewall service).

(BTW, I was under the impression that the shares XP created weren’t samba shares, but seeing as it works in safe mode I can only be wrong)

KCMT
    Participant

Hi and thanks

I did have a few firewalls but I have removed them. Windows firewall is disabled and I turn Kaspersky off for these tests. In fact when I do, I get a message from windows saying I’m no longer protected. I can’t think what else it might be.

I believe SMB Does work with XP but people have problems with simple file sharing – you can’t turn it off in home. People turn it off in pro then get SMB working. No idea why it causes problems though.

Cheers

KCMT
    Participant

It looks like it might be simple file sharing that’s stopping it.

Has anyone got WiiMC to work with Win XP Home?

hello2000
    Participant

All the Windows XP setups I used in my life during long periods of time were Professional editions, so I don’t know about Home. But, I can suggest this: is it possible that SMB is a feature of the Pro version and the Home version has it disabled somehow (like the restrictions between Vista/7 Basic and Ultimate), however as the SMB code is still in the system there’s a bug that gets SMB turned on on safe mode?

[Linux blah blah]Oh, how I love the majority of Linux distros: having Samba working right out of the box (or after a quick install) and no stupid firewalls to turn off![/Linux blah blah]

KCMT
    Participant

Hi and thanks 🙂

I think you’re right. I have found 2 reg tweeks

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/28774-disable-simple-file-sharing-xp-home/

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=494858

But I was hoping for a more simple solution. I wondered if the WiiMC needed a username like ‘guest’ or something?

I could try one of these tweeks but I’m not even sure if they are copy and paste complete or more of a template as to what to input.

I mean, I guess I could just reboot the PC in safe when I want to watch something downstairs, but it seems crazy.

Cheers

KCMT
    Participant

Hiya,

I now given up on this. I did try the reg tweeks and got the security tab up in folder options but there is still something blocking the share.

I’m going to assume it’s an inherent XP home issue. For anyone in the same boat the solutions seem to be: change OS or add a NAS drive directly to the gateway (about £100 for 1TB).

For other reasons I’ve decided to buy a 500GB drive and stick it directly into the wii. This is USB powered portable so easy enough to take up to the main PC when needed.

I’d like to thank everyone who’s taken the time to help me over the last month or so. All though I didn’t get this working I’ve still ended up with a better setup than I originally thought and I’ve learnt absolutely ^&($loads about a heap of stuff too!!

So a big thankyou to you all. 😀

Cheers

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password