New to wiimc and vlcshares, a few questions

Home Forums Third Party Enhancements VLC Shares New to wiimc and vlcshares, a few questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ronic
    Participant

Hi I was wondering if someone in vlc shares would mind helping me with a few issues I’ve run into since my setup yesterday. I first want to thank any wiimc staff and vlcshare staff for these awesome programs. My roommates wanted to watch stuff from my pc and I became determined to give a good experience doing so. Before wiimc I used orb, which compared to wiimc smb, is a piece of junk. The quality streaming and functionality do not even compare.

Anyways my questions regarding vlc shares are,
    1. Is it possible to have apache set up on a different port than port 80? I use a program called teamviewer on my pc, of which I believe uses the same port as apache. I couldn’t get apache to load until I shutdown all teamviewer services. I am also looking for a teamviewer method of changing ports If it is not possible for apache.

2. Is seeking possible with a vlc stream? Or is it simply a start and just sit back and watch type service?

3. Is my vlc and wiimc settings already optimized for best play quality with the wii from the configuration guides on the wiki, or is there anything else I should look into?

4. I read that wiimc+ gives some better support to vlcshares. Does it make it function more like the regular video section of wiimc vs the transcode and stream setup?

Thanks again in advance for any help!

Stephen

zany130
    Participant

1) you can change the port and set it to something else than 80. Just open the httpd.conf file and change the

Listen 0.0.0.0:80

to

Lister 0.0.0.0:PORT_NUMBER

Then set the new apache port (unfold advanced setting) in the vlc-shares config page.

Otherwise: http://www.teamviewer.com/it/kb/245-Port-80-This-site-is-running-TeamViewer.aspx

2) Seeking is possible in transcoded mode.

3) All is optimized for an average quality while transcoding. You can achieve better quality if your hardware is good and your knowledges of vlc’s params are better than mine :P. You can tweak transconding profiles in the Profile plugin configuration page of vlc-shares. You can find vlc’s params documentation inside the vlc’s wiki.

4) quoted from http://www.wiimc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1025

VLC-Shares Support
    ==================

VLC-Shares provides a method to play High-Definition Videos contained on your PC on the WII by first transcoding the videos to Standard Definition using VLC and then streaming the result for display by WIIMC. This is all managed by a sequence of playlists that display your PC “Shared Folders” on WIIMC, allow you to select the file to be transcoded, start VLC transcoding and then play the stream. Other playlist selections support transcoding and subtitle settings and the Shutdown of VLC. VLC Shares also supports the direct playback of additional online media links as supported by VLC Shares plug-in extensions such as MegaVideo and YouTube, and streaming video including RTMP streams. and/or its optional plugins.

WIIMC+ integrates VLC-Shares with WIIMC in six ways. First, the Browser bar will track the selection and playback of “Shared Folders” and “watch directly” videos just as if they were in Video Mode including the up-one-level B-button actions and highliting of the previously selected level. Second, once “Start VLC” has been selected and it is no longer possible to step back through the file selection hierarchy, the up-one-level B-button action or selection of “Shutdown VLC” will return directly to the VLC-Shares main Folder selection menu. Thirdly, if the “Video Mode” setting “Restore Using” is set to “Filename only”, VLC-Shares will record the playback status of the video files it plays in the restore_points file. This allows the green paused and red played check marks to be displayed on the menu listings for all “Shared Folder” files regardless of whether it is a Video mode menu listing or a VLC Shared files listing. Fourth, WIIMC+ eliminates the redundant “operation completed” menu required to support the return of video playback to the last VLC played location if playback is paused after skipping forward. Fifth, WIIMC+ will shutdown VLC on the VLC-Shares server on WIIMC+ start-up if it was left active after a previous WIIMC+ shutdown. And sixth, WIIMC+ will display the elapsed time and total video time if available on the OSD Video bar.

Nothing less, nothing more

Ronic
    Participant

Thank you for everything! 🙂 I appreciate the quick and detailed response.

Ronic
    Participant

HI ximarx. I didn’t want to start a new thread for a few questions I have so I just replied here instead. Hope you see this post.

Anyways, a few questions I have over VLC shares, since last time I had everything setup I had to do a reformat and reinstall everything. So I needed Klite pack installed for a video player I use on my pc, of which recommended the removal of FFMpeg. From my understanding Klite has ffmpeg installed via itself, which I was wondering if VLC Shares can use this instead. In its directory I have found FFMpeg.dll, but no .exe , is it okay to use ffdshow instead of ffmpeg?
    Secondly, do you know where to find WIIMC+? I have searched for a download link and also sent a private message to the creator of WIIMC+, but have not found or heard anything back. If you have it, would you mind sending it to me in a pm or sharing a link where I can download it from?

Thank you!

cadbusca
    Participant

When stephenishere follows the instructions, or opens my PM to him requesting it, and sends me his email, I’ll be able to send him WIIMC+.

zany130
    Participant

@stephenishere wrote:

HI ximarx. I didn’t want to start a new thread for a few questions I have so I just replied here instead. Hope you see this post.

Anyways, a few questions I have over VLC shares, since last time I had everything setup I had to do a reformat and reinstall everything. So I needed Klite pack installed for a video player I use on my pc, of which recommended the removal of FFMpeg. From my understanding Klite has ffmpeg installed via itself, which I was wondering if VLC Shares can use this instead. In its directory I have found FFMpeg.dll, but no .exe , is it okay to use ffdshow instead of ffmpeg?
    Secondly, do you know where to find WIIMC+? I have searched for a download link and also sent a private message to the creator of WIIMC+, but have not found or heard anything back. If you have it, would you mind sending it to me in a pm or sharing a link where I can download it from?

Thank you!

Ffmpeg.exe is needed. Anyway you can keep it and install klite, shouldn’t be a problem. The ffmpeg.exe required by vlc-shares is a static binary, so it doesn’t install library or other garbage. So it’s fine to keep it.

(i use klite and ffmpeg without problems)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘VLC Shares’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password