Problem with some Youtube videos

Home Forums Help and Support Problem with some Youtube videos

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    macuquinho
    Participant

Hi everyone.

When i try to watch a video on youtube, in some of them, the player begins loading and run the video, but it is very slow and/or “crashed”. The remote doesn’t respond to my commands, and i need to wait wiimc ends the transmission in order to go back to menu, or just take a “hard shutdown’, pressing the power button on wii.

I think it is related with the resolution of videos. There is some way to configure the default resolution for youtube videos? I have a CRT TV, so 360p maybe is the best choice.

But, i think that the buffer configurations or my connection (1Mb/s) maybe are the cause of my problems. Does anyone know something about these issues?

PS: i’m running wiimc 1.1.0, on IOS 61, from a SD card, with homebrew channel 1.0.8. I have no cIOS installed or any other modifications on my wii.

Sorry my bad english.

Thanks for any help.

cadbusca
    Participant

This is due to your 1mbps line. Wiimc now loads 640p quality videos which require a faster line(>3mbps). I am presently on a 750kbps line and have the same problem. My other 6mbps line worked fine.

I have added a patch to my Enhancement Pack that I will soon publish (see Development Forum) which will have an option to select Low Quality (320P) YouTube videos, but you will have to compile it.

macuquinho
    Participant

Thanks for the information.
    In this case, i think is better watch youtube videos with Internet Channel. I’m noob with compiling, then I will wait some fix in a future release of WIIMC.

But, just to know, there is some way to stop playback and return to wiimc menu in safe, when this “bug” occurs? The only problem with these ‘crashes’ is that I always need to take the ‘hard shutdown’. (or wait the video ends, what is annoying).

Thanks again for help.

cadbusca
    Participant

I’ve never had a crash.. just press the home button to stop the bad playback.
    BTW, I see the next version of WIIMC will have the hi/low option so you won’t have to compile it.
    You might want to take a look at my You-Tube Guide http://www.wiimc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=829 to see why I prefer WIIMC rather than the Internet Channel.

macuquinho
    Participant

@jhb50 wrote:

I’ve never had a crash.. just press the home button to stop the bad playback.
    BTW, I see the next version of WIIMC will have the hi/low option so you won’t have to compile it.
    You might want to take a look at my You-Tube Guide http://www.wiimc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=829 to see why I prefer WIIMC rather than the Internet Channel.

This is the problem. When this problem occurs, wiimc does not respond to the Wii Remote. That’s why I need to do the hard shutdown or just wait (a eternity, because the video runs “frame by frame’).

I am happy to know that the next version will include the option to choose the quality. I prefer to wait the release, and continue using internet channel. I tooke a look in your guide. Interesting 🙂 Nice job. When the youtube video playback is stable on my wii and connection, i’ll put it into practice. Internet channel is nice because we can use directly our saved playlist, but unfortunately flash player is very slow.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi everybody,

The version under development (since svn rev622) adds the possibility to select between High quality 640×360 (YouTube fmt 34) and Low quality 400×240 (fmt 5).

I had the same problem reported by ricardoho (video runs “frame by frame’…) on many videos with fmt 34, on a 7Mbits wireless DSL. The fmt 5 works fine but the quality is really awful!

So, I compiled a custom version of wiimc adding the fmt 18 (480×360). Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube states that fmt 18 has the same bitrate of fmt 34 but in practice many videos works fine as fmt 18 and palys with problem as fmt 34.

These are the patches applied to svn rev 665:

settings.cpp line 727

if(strcmp(WiiSettings.youtubeFormat, "34") != 0 &&
    strcmp(WiiSettings.youtubeFormat, "18") != 0 &&
    strcmp(WiiSettings.youtubeFormat, "5") != 0)
    sprintf(WiiSettings.youtubeFormat, "18");

menu.cpp line 4838

switch (ret)
    {
    case 0:
    if(strcmp(WiiSettings.youtubeFormat, "5") == 0)
    sprintf(WiiSettings.youtubeFormat, "18");
    else if (strcmp(WiiSettings.youtubeFormat, "18") == 0)
    sprintf(WiiSettings.youtubeFormat, "34");
    else
    sprintf(WiiSettings.youtubeFormat, "5");
    break;
    case 1:
    OnScreenKeyboard(WiiSettings.onlinemediaFolder, MAXPATHLEN);
    if(!IsOnlineMediaPath(WiiSettings.onlinemediaFolder))
    CleanupPath(WiiSettings.onlinemediaFolder);
    break;
    }

if(ret >= 0 || firstRun)
    {
    firstRun = false;

if(strcmp(WiiSettings.youtubeFormat, "5") == 0)
    sprintf(options.value[0], "Low (400x240)");
    else if (strcmp(WiiSettings.youtubeFormat, "18") == 0)
    sprintf(options.value[0], "Mid (480x360)");
    else
    sprintf(options.value[0], "High (640x360)");

snprintf(options.value[1], 60, "%s", WiiSettings.onlinemediaFolder);
    optionBrowser.TriggerUpdate();
    }

I do hope fmt 18 could be added to the next wiimc release. In the meanwhile many thank to the developers for making wiimc the best wii media player !!!

rodries
    Keymaster

That’s easy to do. Added.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great!!! Thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password