*sigh* STILL no Replay Gain tag support? Really?

Home Forums Feature Suggestions *sigh* STILL no Replay Gain tag support? Really?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    makoblaster
    Participant

I made a thread literally less than a day after the original WiiMC launch mentioning Replay Gain tag support, and not only has that unfortunately not happened, but the original thread got ended up locked!

So yeah… I figured a new one should be opened so that it doesn’t get buried for all eternity.

rodries
    Keymaster

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Replay_Gain#Windows

Mplayer support for Replay Gain is codec dependent.
    Codecs that are known to support Replay Gain: vorbis
    Because of this, you need to prioritize the codecs that support it, or choose it individually on the command line. To add it to the command line, add an -ac [codec] option after each file that you want to choose the codec for, or at the beginning to make it apply to all files listed. To prioritize the codecs by default, list them in a line in mplayer.conf:

We don’t support vorbis. Hence, no Replay Gain.

makoblaster
    Participant

But you support FLAC and WavPack… those support Replay Gain.

And if you don’t support vorbis, then why is “OGG” listed under ‘Audio’ on here:
    http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiMC#Media_Playback

rodries
    Keymaster

I should be more specific. WiiMC uses the vorbis support built into FFmpeg. There’s two other choices of codecs to use – tremor and libvorbis. We don’t compile either of those into WiiMC since it’s a waste of space and duplicates support of a format we already have via FFmpeg. I am assuming FFmpeg doesn’t have replay gain support, only libvorbis does, but I could be wrong about that…

audiocodec ffvorbis
    info "FFmpeg Vorbis"
    status working
    fourcc vrbs
    format 0x566F
    driver ffmpeg
    dll "vorbis"

audiocodec vorbis
    info "OggVorbis Audio"
    status working
    comment "OggVorbis driver using libvorbis"
    fourcc vrbs
    format 0x566F
    driver libvorbis
    dll "libvorbis"

audiocodec tremor
    info "OggVorbis audio"
    status working
    comment "fixed-point decoder useful for systems without floating-point unit"
    fourcc vrbs
    format 0x566F
    driver tremor
    dll "tremor"
    kjdoof29
    Participant

The concept of ReplayGain is not codec dependent, the value may even come from an external source.

I do not know how Ogg/Vorbis, WavePack or FLAC handle ReplayGain values, but in MP3 Files the values for track and album gain are stored in tags, maybe ID3, or APE, or something else.
    If you can read the tags, the needed gain change could be done when the software is changing the volume.

Imho it makes sense to apply replaygain in post-processing, not in decoding.

makoblaster
    Participant

Apologies for bumping this, but the newest WiiMC update just made me remember this.

danielcw has it mostly right, Replay Gain is NOT a codec-dependent thing. Some codecs integrate it, but for most it is something done by post-processing via a simple gain adjustment tag. If the format can support tags, then it can support Replay Gain.

Besides, if it WERE at the codec level, then EVERY media player that can play, say FLAC, would automatically support Replay Gain – which is obviously not the case.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Lost Password