SMB share help

Home Forums Help and Support SMB share help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    siabod
    Participant

so i’m pretty sure that i’ve set up an smb share correctly on my vista computer. i put a folder in my public section on my computer then set it to share with everyone. what i’m confused about is how to make wiimc connect to it. if someone could give me some instructions it’d be greatly appreciated. also i have turned off password protected sharing however public folder sharing is also turned off. should that be turned on?

thanks in advance!

gilsil
    Participant

Get your pc’s ip address (from the cmd line) using configip /all, it is probably something like 192.168.1.1
    Mine was 192.168.1.105 as i have a few pc’s at home

wii setup screen

Display Name ____ Movies
    Share IP ________ 192.168.1.1
    Share Name______ Movies
    Username____Mungali08
    Password_____PasSW0rd

everything is case sensitive.
    i did not turn any passwords off, i just use my logon name and password and that works fine.
    I also did not have the shared folder anywhere special it’s on an external hdd eg //g/Movies
    Hope this helps.

siabod
    Participant

hmm ok I’ll try it. thanks!

EDIT: yay it worked! but the video playback is so extremely choppy and it has to buffer every frame that the movie is unwatchable 🙁 is this normal?

Sw0rdiX
    Participant

No, that doesn’t sound normal at all.

Have you tried increasing the cache size? I believe it defaults to 30% (personally I have it set at 60% just to be on the safe side) or tried restarting your router (sometime turning it off and then back on cures the weirdest problems).

If that doesn’t work it could potentially be a problem with your wireless signal (too weak?) or with your router. Do you suffer problems while streaming to, say, another computer/laptop?

rodries
    Keymaster

The other question is, what kind of file are you trying to play? This doesn’t work for HD content.

gilsil
    Participant

Check your modem also, some have better strengths than others, you might be to far away or through a concrete wall. A weak modem wont punch through it very well for streaming. When sitting out back at my bar the netcomm did the same thing, i upgraded to a lynksys and no more problem. They have a letter on the box for how strong they are eg N .It’s been a while so my info could be out of date.

pallbearer
    Participant

has anybody got it working with vista home premium

i v tried everything….. it works with windows 7….

siabod
    Participant

@Tantric wrote:

The other question is, what kind of file are you trying to play? This doesn’t work for HD content.

i was just using an avi file that i don’t think is HD

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password