SMB shares blank

Home Forums Help and Support SMB shares blank

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    ladius
    Participant

HI

I’m having a strange problem which I can’t find reported elsewhere.

I’ve installed a new copy of 1.0.5, and it all seems to work fine. HOwever, when I add SMB shares whilst it seems to log in to them correctly, the contents of them are completely blank. I don’t see files or the file structure. I use the same shares with Windows, XBMC etc and they work fine.

I’m using Samba on a Linux server in a fairly standard configuration.

The only other possible is that I accidentally upgraded the Wii to 4.3. I’ve got homebrew working again by installing a patched IOS36 etc, but is it possible that something else in the upgrade has caused this problem?

I’d be grateful for any advice. IT looks great otherwise!

James

EnvyMe
    Participant

Just like me http://www.wiimc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=583
    Gone back to the old IOS and WiiMC..

ladius
    Participant

@codiak wrote:

Just like me http://www.wiimc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=583
    Gone back to the old IOS and WiiMC..

Hmm, very odd. What system menu version are you running on?

I’ve installed 1.0.4 and it works fine with the new IOS202. The channel installer now doesn’t work though (Wii crashes with a black screen after launching Wiimc), presumably this is due to some incompatibility.

Could this be something to do with the way the SMB shares are served up? Are you using Samba or Windows as a host?

Thanks

James

EnvyMe
    Participant

I am using sysmenu 4.2 and linux to host the SMB shares.

ladius
    Participant

Thanks. So it can’t be down to the 4.3 upgrade.

I’ve tried a fresh install to a new SD card, and also the beta version, but still no success.

I’m at a loss now, does anyone else have any advice?

James

EnvyMe
    Participant

Lets hope Tantric is aware of this and it will be fixed soon.
    My guess is a “bug” in the new IOS.

cadbusca
    Participant

Your proper course of action is to submit this as a bug using the Development/Tracker Tabs above. This will give it a number and keep it visible in the list of pending fixes. As you have pointed out it is unique to your environment and I do not have any similar problems in Windows either. I have experienced situations where a complete playlist has not displayed, but never missing share contents.

SeeJ
    Participant

It sounds like there is a problem with WiiMC 1.0.5 & 1.0.6 and Samba Servers on Linux boxes. I’m running Debian on an Apple G4. WiiMC 1.0.4 runs AVI movies flawlessly. I updated WiiMC to 1.0.5 and I got a blank listing. I reverted back to WiiMC 1.0.4 and all was well again. I then updated WiiMC to 1.0.6, Samba Tree directory did not show up. Reverted back to WiiMC 1.0.4 and all was well again.

Samba Server Specs:

Debian
    Apple G4
    Samba Server with no username or password
    Samba shares visible and accessible from Vista OS and Windows XP OS

Wii Specs:

System Menu 4.1E
    Bootmii as Boot2
    All vulnerabilities present
    Most up to date IOS 202 from MPlayer CE

rodries
    Keymaster

This is a known issue, it’s related to the changes in SMB to add UTF8 support.

Note that “known issue” doesn’t mean we know how to fix it.

Sera
    Participant

Hi

I’m having the same issue with 1.0.6 (I haven’t used other versions before) – files are on my QNAP NAS (which runs linux). Wii can connect but the folder is empty for SMB. Wii can see files in my folder on my Vista pc.

Sounds like if I install 1.0.4 instead of 1.0.6 (I’m sure some features will be missing of course!) there is a good chance it will see SMB files based on the posts here. I’ll give that a try but happy to hear if any other thoughts on how to address. I’ll let you know if rolling back might work….. I hope so as WiiMC looks great.

Thanks
    Aengus

Sera
    Participant

Well, I just uninstalled 1.0.6 and replaced it with 1.0.4 (I have ios202 also installed) and hey presto, all my SMB files are now visible !

Its an awesome combination – my media files are on my QNAP home NAS and now I can play music, see photos and play home video through my Wii on my tv over my home WiFi ! Its opened up a whole new set of capabilities for my family and I.

Great application. Would be fantastic if you can fix the SMB issue in the newest version so I can upgrade. For now I am rejecting offers to upgrade when I launch the app, but I love WiiMC 1.0.4.

Thanks again.

ladius
    Participant

It strikes me that there may be a workaround by configuring Samba differently. It’s clear that there are people out there using linux + samba without problems, so it must be down to something we can configure in Samba.

Is there something specific about the UTF8 that could be changed in the samba config?

flash2
    Participant

Same here, all blank. I got connection but the folder is empty.

rodries
    Keymaster

Known issue. Wait for a fix.

Thread Closed.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘SMB shares blank’ is closed to new replies.

Login

Lost Password