SMB shares have stopped working??

Home Forums Help and Support SMB shares have stopped working??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi

I have had WiiMC set up for ages and used to be able to use SMB shares to access my files on my PC. I have recently had a problem with my router and was sent a new one by my ISP. No problems there and internet is back up again and working ok. I did have to set up all my devices again as I have a new wireless password. The Wii is fine now and is online (checked with Iplayer and online game play). WiiMC however continues to tell me that it unable to connect to the SMB share.

These are the steps I have taken:
    1. Turned my firewall off
    2. Ended and re-set up the share on my PC
    3. Ended and re-set up the share on my Wii within WiiMC
    4. Done a complete new installation of the latest version of WiiMC (not sure if the settings were still using the old router settings)
    5. Tried using older versions of WiiMC

Still no joy. Please could anyone suggest anything that I may be missing.

Thanks

cadbusca
    Participant

Security on your PC shares also has to be enabled.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry could you elaborate on that please?

Do you mean where I have to change the properties of the folder on my PC to allow it to be shared? If yes then I have already done so.

Thanks

Matoking
    Participant

I would check the following:

1. Make sure your pc has a static ip on the router.

2. Check to make sure your settings, if based on IPs, are correct. Check each of your shares to make sure the IP is the same that is on the computer you are sharing from.

3. Try to ping the Wii from the PC to confirm connectivity.

4. If one device is wired and the other is wireless, then make sure your router is bridging the traffic.

5.I guess a last ditch effort would be to use a cheap hub or a cross over cable to connect the wii and pc together. (Would require you to have another network card to connect the pc to the internet with, as well as internet sharing on the pc.)

If you try 5 and it works, your problem is going to be the router. Contact your ISP or the maker of the router to see if there is a setting that is filtering your traffic.

*This does assume that your windows shares are setup correctly and windows is not acting naughty and not permitting the connection.

evanzan
    Participant

I recently had the same problem on my XBMC. It turned out that a windows update had installed “Windows Live ID Assistant” and this somehow messes up SMB shares. if you just go to control panel and remove Windows Live ID Assistant” every thing works again! the only downside is i have had to uninstall it several times as it kept reinstalling itself. This was overcome by going into the windows update manager and hiding the update for windows games….I dont use any windows live stuff though so I dont know if it would hinder someones abitly to use any of those applications. Hope this solves your problem

cadbusca
    Participant

Elaborating:

On W7, go to Explorer, shared folder, open properties..two tabs, sharing and security.
    Sharing – Advanced Sharing -Permissions – Everyone
    Security- Everyone – Allow

Both must be set to Everyone.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Will give them a go later when i get home from work.
    jhb50 hope I didn’t come across sarcastic very grateful for your insight.

jekaman
    Participant

@GPWeaver30 wrote:

Hi

I have had WiiMC set up for ages and used to be able to use SMB shares to access my files on my PC. I have recently had a problem with my router and was sent a new one by my ISP. No problems there and internet is back up again and working ok. I did have to set up all my devices again as I have a new wireless password. The Wii is fine now and is online (checked with Iplayer and online game play). WiiMC however continues to tell me that it unable to connect to the SMB share.

These are the steps I have taken:
    1. Turned my firewall off
    2. Ended and re-set up the share on my PC
    3. Ended and re-set up the share on my Wii within WiiMC
    4. Done a complete new installation of the latest version of WiiMC (not sure if the settings were still using the old router settings)
    5. Tried using older versions of WiiMC

Still no joy. Please could anyone suggest anything that I may be missing.

Thanks

It’s because the IP of your computer changed with the new router.
    Follow this thread info to correct the issue:
    http://www.wiimc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1300

P.S. I know this post was old but seems answering this question may prevent further unneeded posts.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password