[Solved] Slow Start Up

Home Forums Help and Support [Solved] Slow Start Up

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    zoidfreak
    Participant

Hi

Thanks for a great app.

I have a 4.2E wii running HBC 1.0.8 and IOS58 with WiiMC 1.1.8

Only issue I have is the start up time. When I click the channel, it loads for 10-15 seconds…the screen turns black for ~5 seconds before WiiMC appears. Total ‘boot’ time is therefore ~20 seconds.

Can anyone explain why this is happening? I have a 320GB USB drive connected (WBFS format). This drive connected to another wii (4.2U) – WiiMC boots up in less than 5 seconds….

On the ‘slow’ wii I have wired internet connection and 4 SMB shares to a wired computer (windows 7).

Can anyone suggest any reasons for the slow start up and possible fixes?

Many thanks
    S

hello2000
    Participant

Homebrew browser does not understand WBFS partitions as far as I know. Perhaps you’re launching the channel from the SD card and the card is slow, that’s why it takes so much time to load.

Or are you using other homebrew than the Homebrew Channel to launch WiiMC? If yes, that might be causing the slowness.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Skryten wrote:

IOS68

Is that a typo? and not IOS58 ?

zoidfreak
    Participant

@Fred-Bear wrote:

@Skryten wrote:

IOS68

Is that a typo? and not IOS58 ?

My bad….should be ISO58….i.e. a typo

zoidfreak
    Participant

@gbl08ma wrote:

Homebrew browser does not understand WBFS partitions as far as I know. Perhaps you’re launching the channel from the SD card and the card is slow, that’s why it takes so much time to load.

Or are you using other homebrew than the Homebrew Channel to launch WiiMC? If yes, that might be causing the slowness.

Hi and thanks for your input.

I’ve got the WiiMC dol on an SD card (in the apps folder) which is the app launched when selecting the channel. If I launch WiiMC directly from HomeBrewChannel I get the same slow result. I have also tried to disconnect the USB drive and hooked up a NTFS formatted drive with movies, music, etc….same result. Have had this issue since I first installed WiiMC (5-6 versions ago).

The other wii I have tested on (i.e. same setup – same WBFS formatted USB HDD, SD card, WiiMC channel, WiiMC dol) fires up WiiMC very quickly. Second wii is a 4.2U rather than 4.2E but otherwise the same (including the softmod updates).

There must be something slowing down the start up process……but what………..??

Any further thoughts appreciated…

Cheers
    S

zoidfreak
    Participant

and one more thing……(just in case it shed any further light to my issue):

The Wii remote loses connection with the console after WIIMC loads….I need to press any button on the remote to get the remote going again…Not a big deal but strange behaviour nevertheless.

Cheers

zoidfreak
    Participant

just one more observation….

Launching WiiMC from HomeBrewChannel (HBC) takes ~15 seconds

Launching WiiMC from the WiiMC channel takes ~25 seconds

I’m pussled!!

zoidfreak
    Participant

…..and the remote stays on when launching from HBC….need to ‘reconnect’ the remote when launching from Channel/forwarder….

aka107
    Participant

@Skryten wrote:

…..and the remote stays on when launching from HBC….need to ‘reconnect’ the remote when launching from Channel/forwarder….

Are you using an original wiimote?
    Have you tried to format sd card?
    Have you tried another sd card?

zoidfreak
    Participant

@rodries wrote:

@Skryten wrote:

Thanks Rodries

I am using an original wiimote…have tried several different ones with the same result.

Will format the sd card and try again (will also test a different SD card although mine is a fairly new SanDisk 2GB SD card).

Just to confirm – what is the best format for the SD card? FAT, FAT32, etc???

Cheers
    S

aka107
    Participant

@Skryten wrote:

@rodries wrote:

@Skryten wrote:

Thanks Rodries

I am using an original wiimote…have tried several different ones with the same result.

Will format the sd card and try again (will also test a different SD card although mine is a fairly new SanDisk 2GB SD card).

Just to confirm – what is the best format for the SD card? FAT, FAT32, etc???

Cheers
    S

Fat32 & clusters as big as possible

zoidfreak
    Participant

Thanks Mate…

Guess what – a new SD sorted everything.

WiiMC now fires up within seconds and the remote stays active. THANKS!!!

I did notice that my original SD card is a 2GB version but is only showing 1GB capacity…(?). Very odd. Must be a dodgy SD card or something has happened to the partitioning on the card.

Anyways….I’m a very happy camper!

Update: I formatted the SD card with a new laptop, and the SD card is now back to 2GB capacity!..and working fine on a different wii I have…interesting to see how a ‘slow’ SD card impacts performance. All the best.
    Cheers

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password