Some Clarity Please.

Home Forums Help and Support Some Clarity Please.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    cadbusca
    Participant

I am a diehard vanilla WIIMC user, for 2 reasons. First I don’t want to get involved in the complexities of WII system IOS addons, and secondly I’d like to set an example for other users who want a simple MC solution that there is no need to have any awareness of all the issues raised in in the last week regarding 1.0.5 failures.

By not installing IOS202 I have avoided all that and continue to have full access to my SD card, USB HDD and SMB Shares and my DVD player gives me access to any DVD’s that I want to play. I would guess that covers about 99% of WII users and I don’t think that all the problems of the other 1% should inhibit the 99% from benefiting from this outstanding application.

My concern is in regards to the notice accompanying the 1.0.5 release and an earlier note regarding lost ntfs support.
    The release notice says “You must install the new IOS202 to use USB!” and the earlier ntfs note said “It’s not broken – it requires an updated CIOS – which you don’t have. It’ll be distributed when 1.0.5 comes out.”

Since I am able to use 1.0.6 with a USB ntfs formatted HDD, these notes appear to be incorrect, but of more concern is that they might be indicators of future changes that would raise the complexity of installing and using WIIMC.

I hope that we can keep it simple.

rodries
    Keymaster

You’re making a lot out of a whole lot of nothing. 1.0.6 reverts the CIOS changes, which yes makes that mention in the 1.0.5 changelog moot for 1.0.6, but not for 1.0.5.

Many hard drives don’t work without IOS202, and those that do will only get USB1.1 speeds – ie: slow.

Aside from all this, there will be some changes coming down the pipe to make this whole issue moot.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password