Some SMB shares working, some not

Home Forums Help and Support Some SMB shares working, some not

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    cyrus800
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m having trouble with SMB sharing in WiiMC. Some of the SMB shares linked to shared folders on my computer are working and others are giving me “Error reading smb:” error messages when I try to access them.

For example, I have a folder with AVI files that initially was giving me the error message. I must have disabled and re-enabled sharing, and also deleted and reconfigured the WiiMC share about five times before it started working.

Also, with this shared folder of AVI files, some of the movies play fine and others give “Error loading file!” messages.

Is this a known issue with WiiMC?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have the same problem – *some* shares that I had set up and that were working previously no longer do.

ex: I have a network share called “DOWNLOADS” at 192.168.1.201 at D:Downloads — this share *is* accessible via WiiMC (as SMB4)
    .. I also have a network share called “MOVIES” at 192.168.1.201 D:DownloadsMovies — this share *is NOT* accessible via WiiMC (it’s set up as SMB6 in WiiMC), but is reachable by other computers on my network, and also by ‘WiiXplorer’ on the Wii. This share *used* to be accessible via WiiMC, prior to the last update – but now gives a “Error – Error opening smb6:/” msg.

edit: found the solution/explanation – it wasn’t WiiMC after all — I finally noticed in Win7 that on the folder’s Properties->Security tab, ‘Everybody’ was added to the userlist of permissions for the ‘Downloads’ folder but not the ‘MOVIES’ folder. I added ‘Everybody’ via the ‘find users’ thing and all is good again.

sobers_2002
    Participant

I have had the same issue. It seems that I can’t share more than 1 folder deep.

example. ….
    D:Movies will work fine.
    But
    D:MoviesDvd will not work.
    Or anyother shares with sub folders.

So if you share a folder like D:Movies and have folders within that folder then it will list all the folders
    just fine. But if your share is more than 1 folder off the root, it will not work.

If i create another smb share and put DVD folder to D:Dvd then it works fine.

I spent forever trying to setup shares and trying to figure out why it wasn’t working,
    and it all turned out to be this issue.
    Unless you only use 1 folder on the root of the drive the shares will not work.

rodries
    Keymaster

@Razaz

What you’re saying makes no sense. There is no such restriction. When you configure the share in WiiMC, are you typing MoviesDvd as the share name? Because in that case the share is just “Dvd”

sobers_2002
    Participant

@Tantric wrote:

@Razaz

What you’re saying makes no sense. There is no such restriction. When you configure the share in WiiMC, are you typing MoviesDvd as the share name? Because in that case the share is just “Dvd”

That is exactally what I was doing.
    Doing it the way you said works just fine. So it was a mistake on my end.
    Thank you for the info on this and sorry about my misunderstanding.

jekaman
    Participant

When you make a NETWORK SHARE for some reason SMB will not work in say MOVIESDVD.
    So when you add MOVIESDVD to share name it will not work.
    You must Directly share the DVD folder under MOVIES and use that share name.
    Refer to this thread for help setting up a share:
    http://www.wiimc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1300

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password