Subtitles: what’s required to make them work?

Home Forums Help and Support Subtitles: what’s required to make them work?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    DracoMoye
    Participant

Got an avi file of robogeisha that is perfectly subtitled on my computer. But when i play it on wiimc channel it seems i just can’t seem to get those subtitles to show up. Do i need an external file? is there something i’m missing? What types of subtitleing is supported by wiiMC anyhow?

Floricienta
    Participant

If the subtitles are in a separate SRT or SUB file (with the same name as the AVI) they should work fine, but embedded subs have been tricky.

I have a similar problem with MKV files that contain embedded subs (japanese anime videos, with dual jp/eng audio and soft subs). Up to version 1.0.8 the subtitles worked fine, I can resize them, change color, or turn them on and off…. but if I upgrade to a higher version of WiiMC, the subs vanish and I cannot turn them on (I checked all the config options, and they are set the same as with 1.0.8).

I have tried auto upates, re-downloading and manually copying WiiMC to the SD card, but nothing… I have to stay on 1.0.8 or else the subs don’t work.

Is there a solution for this? Because playback performance and compatibility has improved a lot in the newer versions (I have tested them) but I don’t want to lose subtitle support for MKVs, as WiiMC is the only player I know that supports both audio switching and subtitles.

fishears
    Participant

@m_earendil wrote:

If the subtitles are in a separate SRT or SUB file (with the same name as the AVI) they should work fine, but embedded subs have been tricky.

I have a similar problem with MKV files that contain embedded subs (japanese anime videos, with dual jp/eng audio and soft subs). Up to version 1.0.8 the subtitles worked fine, I can resize them, change color, or turn them on and off…. but if I upgrade to a higher version of WiiMC, the subs vanish and I cannot turn them on (I checked all the config options, and they are set the same as with 1.0.8).

I have tried auto upates, re-downloading and manually copying WiiMC to the SD card, but nothing… I have to stay on 1.0.8 or else the subs don’t work.

Is there a solution for this? Because playback performance and compatibility has improved a lot in the newer versions (I have tested them) but I don’t want to lose subtitle support for MKVs, as WiiMC is the only player I know that supports both audio switching and subtitles.

Same here and it’s a shame because 480p Anime work fine, but without subtitles, they are useless to me.

DracoMoye
    Participant

Hope somebody is awre of this and it’ll be fixed eventually… FINGERS CROSSED!

Floricienta
    Participant

Rodries read my post about this issue in the features forum, and was kind enough to look into it. A current beta linked in the 5th post of http://www.wiimc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=862&start=0 fixes this problem in 1.1.0.

The download contains only the boot.dol file, so you have to install/update WiiMC to 1.1.0 and then replace just that file in the folder. I have tried a few MKV videos since then and now the embedded subs work without problems.

Thanks a lot.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password