upnp client

Home Forums Feature Suggestions upnp client

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

i think it would be really nice to have a upnp client incorporated with the wiimc server. browsing network shares is great, but i have a few upnp servers setup with controls beyond just sharing that would be nice to browse those as well.

zany130
    Participant

@homer15 wrote:

i think it would be really nice to have a upnp client incorporated with the wiimc server. browsing network shares is great, but i have a few upnp servers setup with controls beyond just sharing that would be nice to browse those as well.

…and upnp/dnla servers can do video transcoding… *-*

Anonymous
    Inactive

yes, that’s a big plus. i use playon to watch hulu on my xbox, and i can technically watch it on the wii, too, but it looks terrible. video files from my network shares through wiimc look perfect, so i bet transocded files would look good, too.

talroze
    Participant

I know this might be a worthless plea but I really think this would be an awesome addition. I know its easy to be an armchair coder but I found something that could be the start for it. It hasn’t been touched in 3 years but maybe its something worth perusing.

http://upnprenderer.sourceforge.net/

Thanks for all the hard work.

cadbusca
    Participant

You can do trancoding today with VLC and stream to WIIMC via http. No need for upnp server for that. See my post under stickies. Works great to transcode your HD files to SD to play on the WII.

zany130
    Participant

@jhb50 wrote:

You can do trancoding today with VLC and stream to WIIMC via http. No need for upnp server for that. See my post under stickies. Works great to transcode your HD files to SD to play on the WII.

UPNP/DNLA servers announce the presence of all shared files and you can choose which view through the interface of the client (it’s like video on-demand). VLC+HTTP requires that you must select through vlc’s interface each file you want to see, but this is not always possible.

In my case, i need upnp/dnla because i want to choose the file to be shown from the wiimc interface (like for smb) allowing me to watch transcoded files, without that i need to go on another floor of the my house to prepare the vlc configuration (EACH TIME). (It’s not so confortable if i want to see something during night while i’m in the bed)

i’m sorry for my english.

hikaru
    Participant

A upnp solution would be greatly appreciated since it is just so much more user-friendly than the vlc streaming.

cadbusca
    Participant

I agree with both of you, but your tracker request and question #49 has gotten no response, so I developed the VLC alternative as the best available solution despite its limitations. At least it gives the ability to play your HD content via transcoding. VLC does also offer the capability to play a playlist and keep the stream open between videos and this works on PC clients but not on WIIMC. Unfortunately request #144 to support “keep Open” on WIIMC has been given a Low/VeryLow rating and is at the bottom of the list so it doesn’t look like there is much hope for improved access or VOD. It would be nice to know if these things are just technically impossible on the WII, a lack of skill set or a lack of time/priority. That might encourage others to contribute to a solution.

zany130
    Participant

waiting for upnp support, this can be a solution
    http://www.wiimc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=562

dmantelli
    Participant

Ya, exactly what we need. I posted a thing along the line of dnla about it a few month ago. Not even 1 reply. I thought that nobody cared and this was a bust. I’m glad to here some push for support. If I was talented like you, I would do it myself, but I’m just an inferior end-user who likes what you have going on.

http://www.wiimc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=386

Plus I got the PS3 Media Server guys to say “simple process” once they have a dnla client for the wii. They said it would be pretty easy to adapt to. After all, they did it for someone who requested it for the 360 & now it runs just like on the ps3 w/o cover art (yet).

Here is the linkof the request to the PS3 Media Server Crew:

http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6790

mirumirai
    Participant

I think that the guys from GeeXboX have already added UpNp shares support, maybe having a look at their codes would be a good start. As said, it is probably not that difficult, I’ve coded support for UpNp for various Set-top boxes without much problems. I’m new here but will try to look into this sometimes soon (but the covert art/library support is quite an interesting task too).

xzxero
    Participant

geexbox ushare is a media server, no client.

But from the client side, there is Platinum, which is also used in XBMC, and libupnp.
    Platinum would be my first choice, since it seems easier to integrate, but I had troubles porting them the WII, since I am a beginner with porting and devkit ppc.
    For example, both libs rely on some posix stuff, which either is not handled by devkitPPC or I am not finding it.

Nevertheless I will have a look at those libs and if anybody wants to help, it’s highly appreciated.

dmantelli
    Participant

I can’t offer any help in coding, but I would like to say Thank You in any work you contribute to this.

Goveynetcom
    Participant

Is there any news on this?

The hardware seems so delicate, would a uPNP client be more gentle on it then Samba shares or not really?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Lost Password