VLC Shares network question

Home Forums Third Party Enhancements VLC Shares VLC Shares network question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lokiMidgard
    Participant

I took a break from VLC Shares for a a few months due to moving to a new home and had no access to my Wii so there are a few things that I do not remember from previous use. I seem to recall that when using “watch directly” command, the wii obtains the video link from the VLC shares computer, then the Wii streams videos directly from the internet and not through the VLC server. Is this correct? I have noticed recently that when streaming videos using “watch directly”, my VLC Shares computer is using a large amount of bandwidth. Again, I may not remember everything correctly but, I thought that WiiMC streams the video on its own once a link has been obtained. I know this seems somewhat trivial but, I am troubleshooting some network connectivity issues here and trying to determine why my Wii stops using bandwidth during videos (using Icefilms for instance) and suddenly freezes once the buffer is empty. Thank you for any insight you can give.

zany130
    Participant

Watch directly = the video is watched as is, no transcoding. But sometimes (for some kind of hosters) vlc-shares have to be used as a proxy for wiimc so videos gone through the pc (for example with megaupload/video with premium account)

HOSTER —> PC (vlc-shares) —> WIIMC

lokiMidgard
    Participant

OK thank you. I think I have my network issue resolved. I opened up my Wii and added external antenna pigtails, then added a wifi signal booster/antenna. Now my Wii gets extremely long range with no freezing or hiccups in video. Apparently adding only external antennas was not enough to fix the issue. The Wii has such low power wifi output that is was necessary to add a powered signal booster with the antenna to prevent my router from dropping the connection.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘VLC Shares’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password