Whats the best standard to Rip with ?

Home Forums Help and Support Whats the best standard to Rip with ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    marwan330
    Participant

Hi,

Please don’t flame me as I am a bit of a newbe when it comes to ripping, but what exactly is the best format to use for Ripping DVD’s with the Wii ?

There are other discussions on this, but… I am confused 🙁

– assumed to NOT use H264, so I just avoid that format/codex
    – xvid to .avi seems to make huge files (like 1.5 gig for a short 2hr kids movie). I am using DVDfab
    – divx to .avi similarly seems to make huge files, but the quality is nothing to rave about (1.5Gig)

I have a number of other xvid .avi files that are only 700meg and play beautifully, but I just don’t seem to be able to make similar rips. Unsure why ?

Using Fixed Bit rate =1229 , Frame Resolution = 600×342 , Encoding Fps=50

Should I just drop the Frame Resolution to 480×274 or possibly 400×228 ? Any ideas on “good” burning specs,? Again, I am a newbe to this. :mrgreen:

Participant

Hi

I rip dvds using Jesterware DVD ripper with H.264 (mp4) with no problems at all! I use 1500 kbps, 128 kbps (AAC) and source framerate and the videos are of excellent quality on the wii. If I need to deinterlace or inverse telecine, I just bump the video bitrate up to 200 kbps. The key, I understand, is to keep the resolution down to avoid audio-delay issues. The Wii supports a max I think of 480p/i – so I rip my DVDs at 640×480 and Jesterware automatically adjusts the aspect ratio (or display ratio) to 4:3, 16:9 or whatever.

Everything works great with these settings. If you however want to stick with Xvid (which is a little old cf. H.264) then I would recommend 2000 kbps, 192 kbps (MP3), same framerate as source, res 640×480 or adjusted to match aspect ratio/display ratio. Maximum 480p/i. You may also wish to do a two-pass encoding which improves quality, but takes twice as long to encode – it depends on how fast your processor is.

Hope that helps

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password