Which ports does Wii use when direct streaming?

Home Forums Third Party Enhancements VLC Shares Which ports does Wii use when direct streaming?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    lokiMidgard
    Participant

I normally keep my Wii set to DMZ in the router but, I want to turn off DMZ and forward only necessary ports for VLC-shares. I know that port 80 must be open on the server PC but, which ports do I need to open for the Wii when using the direct stream option?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Its 8081 for HTTP Direct Stream and 4212 HTTP Interface.

lokiMidgard
    Participant

Thank you Fred-Bear!

zany130
    Participant

If you want to use vlc-shares inside your lan only, you don’t have to forward any port.

Example (no port forwarding):

INTERNET <<>> ROUTER <
    WII
    ^
    |
    PC

If you want to use vlc-shares with your android phone from outside your lan network you have to open 8081 and 5554 for streaming and 80 for web server

Example (port forwarding needed)

PHONE <<>> INTERNET <<>> ROUTER <
    WII
    ^
    |
    PC

Port 4212 is for the internal vlc http interface and shouldn’t forwarded anyway

lokiMidgard
    Participant

Thank you Ximarx. Originally, I was having some stream issues related to my router so I wanted to open any necessary ports to see if issues went away. As it turns out, my Wii has a ridiculously weak network card in it. When I put a repeater bridge next to the Wii, all of the issues went away. I wish there was a way to upgrade the Wii to wireless N but, the repeater bridge seems to work well for now. It is interesting that my Wii is only 20 feet from my main router yet, it needs a repeater bridge to boost the signal.

carlitos92jose
    Participant

[quoteIt is interesting that my Wii is only 20 feet from my main router yet, it needs a repeater bridge to boost the signal.][/quote]
    thats odd how old is your wii?
    my wii is 5 years old and is 50ft and 1 story up from my router and I have no issues.
    maybe your getting interfernce from some where

lokiMidgard
    Participant

Mine is less than 2 years old. I am sure it is interference related…I live in the caribbean and everything here is wireless- antennas/dishes all over the place. I am on wireless DSL as well (WADSL). Netflix streams perfectly with no buffering during play. I have tried every router channel possible but, the repeater next to the Wii is the only thing that makes vlc-shares and Playon stream smoothly. Its possible that it needs the wifi card replaced but i hate spending more money on another “G” card.

carlitos92jose
    Participant

i assume you have tried channel 11 on your router?
    i have had issues before i was NOT on 11, i read somewhere in the offical wii docs about channel 11

lokiMidgard
    Participant

I am on channel 11 but I did not know about that being an issue for the Wii…interesting. Another thing that probably causes issues for me here is that all walls (internal and external) are concrete so, there is not much “bounce” of wifi signals. The concrete pretty much zaps most of the signal. The repeater I guess helps because I have it set at 200mW with a 5 dbi antenna.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘VLC Shares’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password