WiiMC Wont Play from Read-Only SMB Share

Home Forums Help and Support WiiMC Wont Play from Read-Only SMB Share

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    adamrocks
    Participant

I have three SMB shares on our home server. Two of them allow for read-only access and one is read-write. I have only had WiiMC on this Wii for about 2 weeks, but for a very short while, I could play media from any of the three shares with zero issues. Awesome.

With 1.2.2 and 1.2.3 however, I cannot. On the read-only shares, I get “Error reading file” when atttempting to open media. I’m guessing perhaps that it’s trying to save playback/resume information to the share and isn’t able to? With the read-write share everything works flawlessly, just as it did before. The only difference in the shares is the write capability; they’re hosted from the same machine, same privileges, et cetera.

Is there some known tweak I can make in WiiMC to get that error to go away? For data retention purposes, I do not want users to have write access to those other two shares; I would therefore prefer not to make a read/write account “just for WiiMC.”

Any thoughts? If I missed this in a previous post I apologize in advance.

rodries
    Keymaster

Not sure. Maybe it’s trying to open the file in R/W mode instead of R only?

adamrocks
    Participant

@Tantric wrote:

Not sure. Maybe it’s trying to open the file in R/W mode instead of R only?

Quite possible. I was also wondering if it saves the playback position in the same place as the file for its “resume at last time” functionality.

All I know is, changing to a r/w share, it’s golden. Thanks for the reply… anyone else got ideas? Can it be configured not to do this, or maybe it should just continue if it can’t write?

adamrocks
    Participant

Anyone? I don’t want to allow write access to all of this media. It’s just not a good thing to do, even with only one account specifically for the purpose. I don’t even have a read/write account to those shares, I log into the computer remotely to change things.

If not, could someone point me to WiiMC from, oh i dunno 3 or 4 versions back?

rodries
    Keymaster

It doesn’t need R/W to your SMB folders. The settings and file position are stored on SD/USB – not on the share itself. And no, I don’t know that anyone will solve this for you.

adamrocks
    Participant

@Tantric wrote:

It doesn’t need R/W to your SMB folders. The settings and file position are stored on SD/USB – not on the share itself. And no, I don’t know that anyone will solve this for you.

Good to know about where the settings go. I’ll do some investigating, if I find anything out that could be of help to others, I will post back here. Thanks for the assists, Tantric.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password