Yet another helpless cry for some SMB help.

Home Forums Help and Support Yet another helpless cry for some SMB help.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Iwata-san
    Participant

First off, if you tell me to go search for help, let me cut you off by saying I’ve spent the better part of 2 hours on this and not even “God” (Google) has been able to help me solve this. I’m tempted to offer five bucks via paypal to the generous, kind soul who can tell me why even after beating my head for 2 hours against my keyboard on this and STILL: WIIMC’s SMB feature absolutely refuses to work. I also get the feeling that it doesn’t even “try” to connect as the error pops up IMMEDIATELY without any delay after my clicking on the SMB share to connect up.

Let me start off by saying that I’m using Vista SP1. Both my machine (192.168.0.2, which IS entered in the IP section in WIIMC) and the Wii are behind the same router and same wireless network (Duh.) the share name couldn’t be simpler: C (Also, incase it’s not obvious, I have this simple letter typed in the “Share name” field in WIIMC)

And I have tried all combinations of using my Windows username “Markcous” with and without a password, and even without a username. The sharing permissions are for everyone on this shared drive with a shared name of “C.”

SMB SEEMS simple. I feel like I understand it. (I mean, really, it’s not that hard to comprehend but obviously it’s fooling me or I’m missing something here.) I’m a person who can usually solve ANY computer related issue on my own, we’re talking at least 17 years of windows experience here. So, pretty please, if anyone would pitch in and save me from admitting defeat from something everyone else says is apparently “SO EASY” but absolutely refuses to work, I will “love you long time.” (And you might also save my nose from breaking against my keyboard, which would be greatly appreciated.) Thanks in advance.

EXAMPLE

Display name: C
    Shared IP: 192.168.0.2
    Shared Name: C (Yes, the entire hard drive. I’ve also tried just a single shared folder in the root of this drive, to no avail.)
    User: Markcous (As seen in Windows Vista) Also tried blank as well.
    Password: (Tried with and without.)

I feel like I’ve provided every last piece of information here anyone would need to understand what is going on here, if I left anything out, feel free to scream at me. Thanks again.

HypeTeernor
    Participant

Hello i have been using smb on windows, XP, Vista and now on windows 7 from XBMC on my old xbox until WiiMC now on my wii and i have never had any problems and this is the tutorial i used to follow before i new how to do it, and it works on all windows versions i tried it on.

PS, i use the “SMB Sharing: The secure way!” that one you will se if you scroll down to post nr 2.

http://www.modzone.dk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=265

Best of luck, and no need to love me long time even if this helps you! 😆

cajnape
    Participant

Hey hope this helps a bit.

In my experience though Windows Vista is a networking nightmare.

First off I recommend using a Static IP. Do you know what the IP of your wii is? should say so in homebrew channel

What kind of Wifi router/access point are you using? or are you using LAN adapter on your wii?

I would try setting the up Static IP’s

Default gateway 192.168.0.1
    Computer 192.168.0.102
    Wii 192.168.0.103

Make sure you have no IP conflicts and don’t forget your DNS address or you’ll lose internet access.

When you share your folder (we’ll use C) Make sure “Everyone” has read access in both the sharing and security tab.

Use this on the wii
    Display name: C
    Shared IP: 192.168.0.102
    Shared Name: C
    User: Everyone
    Password: (blank)

Let me know if that works for you

cadbusca
    Participant

Enable under security as well as sharing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password