FTP Server Requirements ?

Home Forums Help and Support FTP Server Requirements ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    us1929
    Participant

Hi Guys 🙂

Loving your media center app, its sexy and works a treat except for the FTP access.
    Ive been having troubles trying to get it to connect to my FTP Media Server.

I couldnt get it to connect using port 21 active or pasv on the release version 1.0
    Ive just done the auto update to release version 1.0.1 seeing that the FTP port
    number change had been added. But still not having any luck.

Ive also noticed that now I cant change the option to use Active or PASV modes.
    Im not sure if this is just me and my install or if this is now a known bug ?

So Im curious, Can the WiiMC Team tell me what FTP Server you test with ?
    Or if you can tell me what known settings work when you test FTP access ?

Oh and if anyone else has had success using the FTP Share option could you
    share with me what FTP Server your using and settings ?

Im currently using Gene6 FTP Server with multiple XBOX’s and PC’s to connect
    via FTP to access my media libary, Im looking forward to the day I can get the
    same working with the WiiMC.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions 😎

ketufe
    Participant

See http://www.wiimc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46. It simply does not work with PASV, and I believe it would be up to your router if active mode would work. That said, I can’t get it to work either.

us1929
    Participant

Hi res2216firestar,

Thanks for your reply. Ive got all the right port forwarding set in my router.
    I disabled PSV mode in my FTP Server, using direct connect only and port 21
    I had a win, it actualy connected, listed the files, I was able to stream a xvid
    across the wireless connection via FTP perfectly, I was amazed and happy.

But now another problem, it only did it once, when I exited from the FTP share
    I got an error on the screen, saying that the settings config could not be written
    too. So I restarted the Wii and started WiiMC again but now it wont connect again.

So Im going to test out a couple of other FTP Servers and will report back with any
    progress and findings, Im determin to get this working as I dont want to use SMB
    shares. I’ll be sure to let you know how I get on and if I have any further success.

Cheers 😎

djdynamite
    Participant

Hey, thought I’d add to conversation. I’ve tried connecting active and passive with the new port option, now it seems I’m connecting but I keep getting “Error Opening ftp1:/” before it loads the directory.

wolffpc
    Participant

Here’s what I’ve done:

• add two FTP shares…(same server,same username,same password,same folder)
    • press home
    • reload wiimc
    • Connect to the first share (it will probably give an error)
    • Connect to the second share (90% of times it works,it should display directory’s content)

I’m using pureftpd,with active connection mode only…

Hope it helps…This should be a bug in WiiMC,cause I can connect to my shares without problem with a ftp client…

us1929
    Participant

@nomoreheroes wrote:

Hey, thought I’d add to conversation. I’ve tried connecting active and passive with the new port option, now it seems I’m connecting but I keep getting “Error Opening ftp1:/” before it loads the directory.

Ug welcome to my world lol. I get the same problem, in addition after getting that error if I go back into
    the settings and try changing the FTP client details, when clicking back, getting back out to the WiiMC
    start page so to speak I then get another error that says it cant write/save to the settings config.

So this was making me wonder if perhaps there is a cache writting issue with the FTP client built into WiiMC ?
    I dont know why the writting/save update error is happening to the settings config. Has anyone else seen this ?

AND

@bicet wrote:

Here’s what I’ve done:

• add two FTP shares…(same server,same username,same password,same folder)
    • press home
    • reload wiimc
    • Connect to the first share (it will probably give an error)
    • Connect to the second share (90% of times it works,it should display directory’s content)

I’m using pureftpd,with active connection mode only…

Hope it helps…This should be a bug in WiiMC,cause I can connect to my shares without problem with a ftp client…

Thats interesting, that makes me think that perhaps there is a issue with the connection staying open/alive.
    Are you using WiFi wireless to connect ? I’ll try and replicate what your also doing to see what happens for me.
    Thanks for your input and feedback, I’ll be back to let you all know what success I have while continuing to test.

Cheers 😎

wolffpc
    Participant

Yes I’m connecting via wifi 🙂

And I’m having the same “problem”, saving config when a network connection doesn’t work 🙂

djdynamite
    Participant

Oh, for the record, I just tried making a duplicate FTP share, didn’t work. Also, my wii is running via ethernet USB on DMZ, so no possible problem there. As far as the saving glitch goes, it seems nothing can be rewritten in the settings config after trying to connect to an FTP server, that seems to be the only time I run into the the save error. For now I’m still stuck at the same error.

us1929
    Participant

@bicet wrote:

Yes I’m connecting via wifi 🙂

And I’m having the same “problem”, saving config when a network connection doesn’t work 🙂

This deffinetly makes me thinks that there is some sort of cache problem with using FTP access, because
    when I watch my FTP Server activity window I can see the connection getting established and the WiiMC
    ftp client is hanging trying to list any files and folders.

Maybe Tantric can shed some light on how the WiiMC FTP Client works ?
    Is there a code base that its using that we could look into to try and help resolve this problem ?

wolffpc
    Participant

@nomoreheroes wrote:

Oh, for the record, I just tried making a duplicate FTP share, didn’t work. Also, my wii is running via ethernet USB on DMZ, so no possible problem there. As far as the saving glitch goes, it seems nothing can be rewritten in the settings config after trying to connect to an FTP server, that seems to be the only time I run into the the save error. For now I’m still stuck at the same error.

Can you try this solution?

• Delete all shares
    • press home button and exit WiiMC
    • Recreate the two shares
    • Go back until it saves the configuration
    • Once the configuration it’s saved, press home button
    • Reopen WiiMC an try to connect

@skanksta
    I’ve got the same problem…The connection is open, as I can see from pureftp servers logs, but it can’t always list directories…

I really need this feature, cause with smv, i’ve got another problem: if a directory has a lot of folders/files the wii hangs

djdynamite
    Participant

Nope, still nothing. :[

I’ve noticed quite a bit of talk about problems with NTFS, would it matter that the FTP server is trying to connect the wii to a NTFS USB hard drive?

wolffpc
    Participant

Are you able to connect to your FTP Server with a client?

djdynamite
    Participant

WIth my online client and with standalone clients, yes. I’ve had friends outside download files from me from my dyndns as well. I changed a few things around and got some interesting log results.

200 PORT command successful.
    TYPE A
    200 Type set to A.
    LIST -al
    150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
    425 Cannot open data connection.

this coming from my server. On the Wii, now it seems to connect fine, but just sits on a blank screen.

wolffpc
    Participant

I don’t have anymore any ideas..

us1929
    Participant

Ive been looking at the source code for WiiMC and have discovered that the FTP Client support is using:

/****************************************************************************
    * TinyFTP
    * Nintendo Wii/GameCube FTP implementation
    * FTP devoptab
    * Implemented by hax
    ****************************************************************************/

So while researching TinFTP and FTP devoptab Ive found that the developer “hax”
    came up with this originaly for MPlayerCE. I’ve downloaded MPlayerCE V.0.76 and
    _r572 beta build. I’ll have a play with these tomorrow. Why am I bothering with
    those you may ask, Well I thought if either of those work with the FTP Client
    connections then it would be very easy to bug check / find the difference between
    a working implementation of this part of code with the WiiMC development version.

So having found the above information, has anyone tried using the FTP Client built
    into MPlayerCE and if so, does it work for you with no problems ? If not get onto it
    guys and try it out and report back with feedback if you have time. Its almost bed
    time for me here in OZ so I will also be installing all the development tools for WiiMC
    tomorrow and will try and help resolve this problem in WiiMC.

Looking forward to your feedback and comments.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password