How to configure SMB on windows 7?

Home Forums Help and Support How to configure SMB on windows 7?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    student
    Participant

Hi guys!
    great player! I tried to search it on te internet but i couldnt find it! How can i configure smb on windows 7? and what do i have write on the wiimc smb fields? thx

fishears
    Participant

Press the start-button (round windows button) and type in the search field “cmd” without the “”.
    type “ipconfig /all” and press enter.
    IPv4 Adresse is what you need to type in WiiMC.
    Your username is not needed. If you have a password you have to type in username and password.
    Now if you want to share a folder, right click the folder and go to properties, press the “sharing” tab and press the share button. Type in “Everyone” and press add. Change the rights to “read/write” and press “share”.
    Close the windows, the folder is now shared, the shared name is the same as the folders name. So if your folders name is “Movies” you will write “Movies” in WiiMC.

I hope I could help you. I have Win7 in Romanian languange, so maybe the description is not 100% accurate :ugeek:

scans
    Participant

@skoopman wrote:

Press the start-button (round windows button) and type in the search field “cmd” without the “”.
    Your username is not needed. If you have a password you have to type in username and password.
    Now if you want to share a folder, right click the folder and go to properties, press the “sharing” tab and press the share button. Type in “Everyone” and press add. Change the rights to “read/write” and press “share”.
    Close the windows, the folder is now shared, the shared name is the same as the folders name. So if your folders name is “Movies” you will write “Movies” in WiiMC.

I hope I could help you. I have Win7 in Romanian languange, so maybe the description is not 100% accurate :ugeek:

Thank you for the simple tutorial. I was able to set up smb on my wii however i still wasn’t able to connect. I was wondering if i have to change the advance file sharing settings on windows, do i have to enable network discovery, file and printer sharing, media streaming etc.. Please help. Thanks.

fishears
    Participant

Oh yeah I forgot about that. You have to enable network discovery. That should be it.

student
    Participant

Thx for the reply!
    but i’ve followed the tutorial but when i try to access the folder it shows a “failed to connect to network share”! What is that? My wii is already connected to my wifi internet.

cremaster
    Participant

Windows 7.
    Instructions followed but unable to connect.
    Workgroup created where two computers are able to see each other.
    One stationary computer the other a laptop.
    Wii cannot see either of them.
    Any suggestion? Thanks.

fishears
    Participant

Try this:

Control Panel – Administrative Tools – Local Security Policy

Local Policies – Security Options

Network security: LAN Manager authentication level
    Send LM & NTLM responses

Minimum session security for NTLM SSP
    Disable Require 128-bit encryption

student
    Participant

Couldnt find those options, my windows in portuguese and i think they didnt just translate the itens!
    But after messing up with the configurations, enabled every option in homegroup configuration (lol), and it worked!
    Man it work perfectly! It’s amazing! Best homebrew ever!

cremaster
    Participant

@skoopman wrote:

Try this:

Control Panel – Administrative Tools – Local Security Policy

Local Policies – Security Options

Network security: LAN Manager authentication level
    Send LM & NTLM responses

Minimum session security for NTLM SSP
    Disable Require 128-bit encryption

I’ve done this and now I have 2 different messages in two different connections.
    – Error opening smb1:/
    – Failed to connect to network share.

¿Any suggestion please?
    Many thanks.

cremaster
    Participant

@fellipepb07 wrote:

Couldnt find those options, my windows in portuguese and i think they didnt just translate the itens!
    But after messing up with the configurations, enabled every option in homegroup configuration (lol), and it worked!
    Man it work perfectly! It’s amazing! Best homebrew ever!

Hi Fellipep07,
    could you detail where you went and what you changed? Thank you.

student
    Participant

Like i said, my windows is in portuguese. So just use the common sense and try to find synonyms for the terms.
    Go to painel control and search for homegroup sharing and options. On the botton of the page choose Advanced sharing configurations.

On that page choose always the first option, except to the password part. On that option, disable it.
    The rest is just like the other guy said on his first reply. Obviously this is not a tutorial, I really dont know if that was the thing that made it to work 😀

kabutopsrx
    Participant

@janc1721 wrote:

@skoopman wrote:

Thank you for the simple tutorial. I was able to set up smb on my wii however i still wasn’t able to connect. I was wondering if i have to change the advance file sharing settings on windows, do i have to enable network discovery, file and printer sharing, media streaming etc.. Please help. Thanks.

Noob here with Xp on my PC. Would u do the same steps to setup with XP?

fishears
    Participant

Noob here with Xp on my PC. Would u do the same steps to setup with XP?

To share a folder, follow this tutorial http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm
    The rest is the same. :geek:

tbritot
    Participant

Hi. I have tried all combinations of the previous instructions and still can’t get SMB sharing to work. I’ve used mplayer_ce for a very long time and had no problems. SMB stopped working with mplayer and I came to WiiMC to see if it was any different, but no luck.

I am using Windows 7 x64 and wiimc 1.0.1. always get error connecting to share messages. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    dagger

tbritot
    Participant

OK so I spent some time on the irc channel and I think we tried everything. If you have tried everything else and it is still not working try uninstalling Widnows update kb980232. Be warned that this update has been marked as critical and uninstalling it could put your computer at risk. more details are at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms10-020.mspx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password