Network setup help!

Home Forums Help and Support Network setup help!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    neo1505
    Participant

Can someone explain step by step the procedure to setup the network connection of wiimc?

To be more specific i’l like to know what settings can make to a pc folder with windows 7 to see it at wiimc, and what are the settings of wiimc that i have to put.
    until now i only connect the wii to internet through the wii setup screen. i found my router and put my personal password. i can connect to the youtube via wiimc but i can find how to setup the local network to see video folders from my pc.

thanks in advanced

DarknessMonk
    Participant

yes I need exactly the same help too!

thanks

sickpuppy
    Participant

If you are able to watch youtube on Wiimc then it means that your Wii’s internet connection is set up correctly, so now comes the easiest part… You have to share your folder(s) on Windows and manage its permissions (define which users can access it, write on it, read it). After that, go on Wiimc’s Settings – Network and “Add SMB Share”.

Type in a “Display Name” which is a simple label that appears at Wiimc menus (can be any that you want, it is just a mere nickname for the folder).

Then, type your PC’s IP address. Note that your IP cannot be dynamic, you must assign it manually or get your router’s DHCP server to give it a static lease, or else you will need to change it every time in that interface.

After that, type the “Share Name”. This one is the nickname of the shared folder given by Windows. You must have set it on Windows while enabling the sharing (Generally is the real folder’s name).

And finally, Username and password. Simply type the username and password of the Windows account which you gave permission to access the folder remotely.

Hope it helped 😉

neo1505
    Participant

Yes you help a lot my friend…. but I need the windows 7 settings that i have to make as well please. If anyone knows how i’ll be glad!
    I know what to do with no eyes on Win XP but i’m new to win7… 😳

neo1505
    Participant

Finally I found it out.

Unfortunately on Win 7 to make a connection you account HAVE TO BE UNDER PASSWORD PROTECTION !!!

If you have your account password free, then you can connect.

I’m not sure but I think that Win7 have an option that doesn’t allow you to access folders via network without password. 99% that is the issue here. Probably you can deactivate that option and work the smb without password.

Closed

cadbusca
    Participant

Nonsense. Go back and read the old SMB posts. For W7 just set “everyone” under both “sharing” and “security” and on your PC root drive only share subdirectories. USB drives can share root. No passwords required.

sickpuppy
    Participant

@NastyCloud wrote:

Finally I found it out.

Unfortunately on Win 7 to make a connection you account HAVE TO BE UNDER PASSWORD PROTECTION !!!

If you have your account password free, then you can connect.

I’m not sure but I think that Win7 have an option that doesn’t allow you to access folders via network without password. 99% that is the issue here. Probably you can deactivate that option and work the smb without password.

Closed

@jhb50 wrote:

Nonsense. Go back and read the old SMB posts. For W7 just set “everyone” under both “sharing” and “security” and on your PC root drive only share subdirectories. USB drives can share root. No passwords required.

Yeah, I had the very same problem you had NastyCloud, but with another W7 system as a client of my other W7 system, but I decided to give up and protect everything so that it gets “safer” and I don’t remember to have tried what jhb50 said above but, as I said before, I decided to protect everything. 😆

Another issue that I had is that I generally use relative long passwords (about 19 alpha-numeric) and wiimc password field didnt allow that and I had to change some of them exclusively because of wiimc, I have even suggested them to increase the SMB password field a little bit but Tantric denied it 😕
    Anyways, glad your problem was solved 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password