<no_ios_reload/> in meta.xml causing hard drive not detected

Home Forums Help and Support <no_ios_reload/> in meta.xml causing hard drive not detected

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    dagger2b
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I have no problems running 1.0.9 with my hard drive. However my buddies drive is not detected with versions 1.0.7, 1.0.8 or 1.0.9. I had him running 1.0.6 which detected the drive every time. I decided to update just boot.dol to 1.0.7 to see if it would detect the drive. The drive was detected. I then updated boot.dol to 1.0.8 and the drive was detected. Finally I updated boot.dol to 1.0.9 and once again the drive is detected. Well this was a mystery to me so I then copied over the other files from the 1.0.9 release. This caused the drive to not be detected again. Through the process of elimination I determined that meta.xml was causing the problem. I then noticed that was added to meta.xml starting with version 1.0.7. So I removed this line from the xml and he is now running 1.0.9 with all files except the change to meta.xml. Now for the channel. 1.4, 1.3 and 1.2 all crash back to the system menu. However 1.1 seems to work just fine. I have no explanation for this. Can anyone explain why this is occurring on my buddies Wii? Thanks…

dagger2b
    Participant

After extensive testing there seems to be no ill effects of removing from meta.xml. When launched from HBC Wiimc runs under ios 58 as it should. Running the older forwarder 1.1 also seems to have no problems and runs Wiimc under ios 58. With this being said I am unsure what the point of is. As for the newer forwarders not working, I have no clue. Tantric I sure wish you would comment on this. Thanks.

rodries
    Keymaster

Removing that line will only cause DVD to stop working.

The reason the drive isn’t working is HBC’s fault – it should be corrected on the next HBC+WiiMC update.

dagger2b
    Participant

Thanks for the explanation Tantric. He does not use his DVD as it is a D3 drive. However removing does get his HDD to be recognized by Wiimc. Not sure why but just glad it works for now. By the way his drive is a green drive which I think is part of the problem. I bet other folks having problems have a green drive as well. Anyway thanks for all your hard work…

Anonymous
    Inactive

unfortunately this didn’t work for me. i’ve tried with my 3.5″ide connected via a usb enclosure and it didn’t work with HBC or CF. I had no problems when using 1.0.6, then updated straight to 1.0.9 and this started. I tried two other usb portable hd’s and both of them worked using both HBC and CF. hope a fix is coming soon.

dagger2b
    Participant

This problem is still occurring on my buddies wii with 1.1.0 and the latest beta2 release. If I remove then these versions work fine from HBC. However the 1.1 forwarder that I had to use with 1.0.9 no longer works. It just freezes the wii. The V1.5 forwarder does not crash back to the system menu like V1.4. It launches the app but fails with “Could not find a valid SD or USB device”. It is the same symptom I get when running from HBC with . However if I run the app from an SD card with the USB also connected, the app will launch fine. In this case the app is run from the SD card and both the SD and USB devices are mounted and available. I am not sure why running from SD allows the USB device to be found and mounted but it does. Tantric, I realize that this problem is HBC fault. However who knows when they will correct it. Is there anything you can do to make the next forwarder release detect his drive without having an SD card in? Thanks for your support…

aka107
    Participant

To do a good test with channel you have to switch off wii & usb device then switch on both, now launch channel.
    I can see that the usb device is not initialized in the rigth way.
    If the channel is not working with the wiimc installed on usb is probably because we need to update the forwarder in the channel. I’ll check it later.
    Please test this beta:
    xxxxxxxxx

Edit:
    Ok, I think I’ve found the bug, please test this beta:
    http://www.wiimc.org/files/wiimc_beta4.zip

dagger2b
    Participant

Thanks Rodries,

I will go over to my buddies and test beta4 tomorrow morning…

Anonymous
    Inactive

my external hd still doesn’t mount with this beta, and now 4 mount points are created for my sd card.

aka107
    Participant

Ok I think I’ve fixed it

Download beta4 again and test

Anonymous
    Inactive

sd is mounted correctly, only one point. is there any way to get an strace of wiimc to see why my hd isn’t being mounted? i’ve posted before that ios58 doesn’t like my hd enclosure.

aka107
    Participant

@fattest wrote:

sd is mounted correctly, only one point. is there any way to get an strace of wiimc to see why my hd isn’t being mounted? i’ve posted before that ios58 doesn’t like my hd enclosure.

Can you go to irc? #wiimc on EFNet
    I want to make a test program for you but I need some info

OK thks to fattest tests we have a new wiimc beta:
    http://www.wiimc.org/files/wiimc_beta5.zip

Anonymous
    Inactive

many thanks to rodries for spending around 2.5hrs debugging the problem with my usb enclosure. hopefully the fixes will resolve issues that others have reported with drives that stopped mounting after 1.0.7.

dagger2b
    Participant

Hi Rodries,

OK I have tested Beta4 first and second release and also Beta5 on my buddies Wii. He is running HBC ios58. All tests were done with no SD inserted only USB drive. The results are the same for all 3 releases. Here they are…

Wiimc from HBC with in meta.xml – Fails with “Could not find a valid SD or USB device”.
    Wiimc from HBC without in meta.xml – Success mounts USB drive.
    Wiimc from CF V1.5 with in meta.xml – Fails with “Could not find a valid SD or USB device”.
    Wiimc from CF V1.5 without in meta.xml – Fails with “Could not find a valid SD or USB device”.

It is a mystery to me why removing from meta.xml allows the USB device to be detected when launching from HBC. It is even a bigger mystery to me why launching the app from the channel forwarder fails to detect the device with or without in meta.xml.

I have to leave my buddies now but I will check back tonight. I look forward to your reply and hope we can figure this one out. Thanks for all your hard work and support…

aka107
    Participant

@mrgreg wrote:

Hi Rodries,

OK I have tested Beta4 first and second release and also Beta5 on my buddies Wii. He is running HBC ios58. All tests were done with no SD inserted only USB drive. The results are the same for all 3 releases. Here they are…

Wiimc from HBC with in meta.xml – Fails with “Could not find a valid SD or USB device”.
    Wiimc from HBC without in meta.xml – Success mounts USB drive.
    Wiimc from CF V1.5 with in meta.xml – Fails with “Could not find a valid SD or USB device”.
    Wiimc from CF V1.5 without in meta.xml – Fails with “Could not find a valid SD or USB device”.

It is a mystery to me why removing from meta.xml allows the USB device to be detected when launching from HBC. It is even a bigger mystery to me why launching the app from the channel forwarder fails to detect the device with or without in meta.xml.

I have to leave my buddies now but I will check back tonight. I look forward to your reply and hope we can figure this one out. Thanks for all your hard work and support…

does wiimc work fine loading from sd with your usb device?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password