<no_ios_reload/> in meta.xml causing hard drive not detected

Home Forums Help and Support <no_ios_reload/> in meta.xml causing hard drive not detected

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    dagger2b
    Participant

Yes if I launch Wiimc from the forwarder using the SD card the USB drive is found. I believe I ran this test with removed from meta.xml. Do I need to try this test with put back in to meta.xml? Perhaps another test would be to have an SD card inserted without the Wiimc app on it. I wonder if the USB drive would then be detected and the app would be run from the USB. What do you think?

aka107
    Participant

mrgreg I think I’ve fixed the problem:
    http://www.wiimc.org/files/wiimc_beta6.zip

Please test and comment

dagger2b
    Participant

Thanks Rodries,

I will head over to his place this afternoon and test out beta 6. I will bring an SD card this time for even more extensive testing. I will let you know…

dagger2b
    Participant

Rodries here are my results with beta6 and channel forwarder V.1.5…

The following tests were run with in meta.xml…

1. Running from USB with no SD

a. Launching app from HBC – Fails with “Could not find a valid SD or USB device”.
    b. Launching app from CF – Fails with “Could not find a valid SD or USB device”.

2. Running from SD with USB connected

a. Launching app from HBC – Successfully runs and mounts both SD and USB.
    b. Launching app from CF – Successfully runs and mounts both SD and USB.

3. Running from USB with SD inserted with app removed from SD

a. Launching app from HBC – Not Possible since app is removed from SD.
    b. Launching app from CF – Crashes back to the system menu.

The following tests were run without in meta.xml…

a. Launching app from HBC – Successfully runs and mounts USB.
    b. Launching app from CF – Fails with “Could not find a valid SD or USB device”.

a. Launching app from HBC – Not Possible since app is removed from SD.

dagger2b
    Participant

Rodries,

My buddy had to leave so I could not summarize my findings in my last post. It is still a mystery to me why removing from meta.xml allows the USB drive to be recognized from HBC. I really do no see why this is even being used anyway. If HBC is running ios 58 and the channel forwarder runs under ios 58 the what does accomplish? Secondly it seems that running from SD with or without allows the USB drive to be detected by both HBC and the forwarder. In the case of the forwarder, who is doing the mounting, is it the forwarder code or the app? If it is the forwarder then perhaps that is were the code change needs to be made.

OK I would like to have the drive detected without having to remove from meta.xml. This would have to be done manually for each new release. However it is possible if we can not get that to work. But I really need to get the forwarder to work with or without . Thanks again for your patience reguarding this issue…

Anonymous
    Inactive

My experience w/ kingston 2gb usb drive (fat32) and keeping …

a. Launching app from HBC – Mounts USB
    b. Launching app from CF – Mounts USB

a. Launching app from HBC – Mounts USB

i did have issues with my friend’s 500gb wd passport (ntfs), but then after some reading found that hbc doesn’t support ntfs. the cf also does not work on the ntfs drive (case 1b and 3b), after the splash screen it returns to hbc. case 2b with the ntfs drive works since its running off the sd card.

dagger2b
    Participant

Thanks for your input fasttest. I only wish that NTFS was my problem with his drive. His drive is formatted FAT32.
    Anyway really glad to here that you and Rodries were able to get your drive recognized. Looks like from your post you are running a portable stick flash drive is that correct?

Anonymous
    Inactive

i used the usb stick just to test the situations you had issues with, but my main drive is a 3.5″ 250gb fat32 ide in a usb enclosure. i will double check with my external hd and report back if there’s any issues, otherwise assume that it worked as well.

Anonymous
    Inactive

seems none of the apps like my usb hard drive. i copied the apps folder from my sd card to my usb drive and none of my forwarders work, and hbc does not mount my usb drive. priiloader says can not mount fat volume. any ideas?

dagger2b
    Participant

fasttest I am confused I thought that Rodries and you had a debug session and he got your drive to be recognized. Now you are saying that nothing will see it? Please explain…

Anonymous
    Inactive

i can not launch apps off the usb drive, but i can launch apps off the sd card and they will recognize the usb drive. when i remove the sd card, all forwarders show the splash screen then return to system menu, except cfg usb loader which gives an error message and returns to system menu. in hbc i can not switch to usb, the option is greyed out, with and without the sd card inserted. maybe this is related to the changes rodries made to the usb loading mechanism in libogc. wiimc was recompiled using those changes, but other apps were not.

dagger2b
    Participant

OK so if I understand you correctly, the changes Rodries made simply allowed you to run Wiimc from your SD card and then the app would mount your USB drive and allow you to access it. The same is true for your other apps in that you would run from SD and then access the USB? The fact that Priiloader or HBC will not see the drive is very unusual. Might I ask how did you format the drive? In my case XP will not let you format large drives larger that 32GB. So I had to use a third party utility. Also how many partitions and what are they? Please let me know…

Anonymous
    Inactive

@mrgreg wrote:

OK so if I understand you correctly, the changes Rodries made simply allowed you to run Wiimc from your SD card and then the app would mount your USB drive and allow you to access it. The same is true for your other apps in that you would run from SD and then access the USB?

yes. cfgusbloader never had problems with this drive when it was launched from the sd card. wiixplorer will mount the drive when using ios202, but not ios58. older versions of wiimc ( < 1.0.6) didn't have problems with the drive, it was only after 1.0.7 that the drive stopped being recognized. after many tests, roderies was able to find the issue in the code which prevented my drive from being mounted.

@mrgreg wrote:

The fact that Priiloader or HBC will not see the drive is very unusual. Might I ask how did you format the drive? In my case XP will not let you format large drives larger that 32GB. So I had to use a third party utility. Also how many partitions and what are they? Please let me know…

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm. however i used the same tool to format my usb flash drive and it is recognized by hbc and i can launch channels via forwarders when using this drive and no sd.

i think we are going somewhat offtopic, since my problem is more to do with libogc code rather than wiimc code…

dagger2b
    Participant

OK I also used the same format utility as you did but I used the command line version. The only other thing that I can think of is if you have more that one partition on the drive make sure that the FAT32 is the first or primary and it is set to active. I am sure you already no this. Was this drive recognized by the older HBC V1.0.6? Very strange it seems that anything using ios58 does not like your drive. Not sure what version of ios58 you are running but the latest is v6176. If you are running v6175 I would update it but I am not sure it will help you any. Sorry I wish I had some more advice for you…

Anonymous
    Inactive

@mrgreg wrote:

The only other thing that I can think of is if you have more that one partition on the drive make sure that the FAT32 is the first or primary and it is set to active. I am sure you already no this.

only one partition on the drive

@mrgreg wrote:

Was this drive recognized by the older HBC V1.0.6? Very strange it seems that anything using ios58 does not like your drive. Not sure what version of ios58 you are running but the latest is v6176. If you are running v6175 I would update it but I am not sure it will help you any.

never tried running apps off older hbc. using ios58v6176

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password