sharing an external usb drive

Home Forums Help and Support sharing an external usb drive

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    mu_mind
    Participant

Hi, WiiMC works fine for me; but I have a problem: I can’t share a folder from my usb external hard drive that is connect to my remote PC, using wifi.
    Of course I can share folders from my internal hard drives C: and D:; but when I tried with my M:/VIDEO, Wiimc told me that i have a “connection error”.
    could you please help me?; tks

Anonymous
    Inactive

the share name might just be “VIDEO” without the drive letter.

cadbusca
    Participant

I haven’t tried a folder, but I have no problem sharing the full drives. I share my external G:, H:, and I: drives as G,H and I. H: and I: are FAT and NTSC partitions on the same drive. If they are not connected I get a network error if I select them.

mu_mind
    Participant

tks
    I tried with o without drive name and it didn´t work; Wiimc didn´t see computer’s usb drive

mu_mind
    Participant

Hi jbh5; did you try sharing a usb disk drive or you only use your internal drives?

May I have a configuration problem, or it is a WiiMC bug … but until time it is no posible to me to connect WiiMc throw wifi with my Lacie usb disk. I’m running Win XP on the PC.

thanks for you support

Anonymous
    Inactive

make sure you are putting the (correct) ip address, and not the hostname. wiimc does not support WINS hostname resolution. i have used shared usb hard drives with wiimc and no issues.

cadbusca
    Participant

Yes, I have altered my post, they are all external drives. I believe the SMB setup forces you to use 192.168.1.nn as the host address.

rodries
    Keymaster

SMB supports any IP address, or DNS entries. If you have DNS on your router to resolve 192.168.0.1 to MYPC, then you could just type ‘MYPC’ instead of the IP. Of course most users don’t know how to set something like this up, which is why the settings area prefills the first three octets of the IP (x.x.x) for your convenience.

mu_mind
    Participant

Hi!; ok,pephaps my enlish is so bad that you dont’t understand me.
    The picture is:
    I’m running Win XP SP3 at my living room PC, ip: 192.162.1.100, one internal drive with 2 partitions, C: and D:; and one external usb drive.
    I share 3 folders from D: drive, call MUSIC, VIDEO and PHOTOS.
    I share one folder from the usb drive call MOVIES.

On the other hand I’running WiiMC 1.1.0 at my game room, here via wifi I can play all the files from the folders that are share from the internal hard drive (MUSIC, VIDEO, PHOTOS), but I can’t access usb drive, so I can’t play MOVIE folder.

When I try to open MOVIE folder I receive from WiiMC a message telling me “Error; conection error; retry cancel” with no error code.

What I’m doing bad?, I don’t undestand.

I’ll be very pleased with your support, thanks!

cadbusca
    Participant

My setup is the same as yours except I share the whole partition on my external drive (H: and I:), not just the subdirectory. I seem to recall that for internal drives I could not share the whole internal drive and only the subdirectory sharing worked, and that for the external drives the whole drive sharing worked but not the subdirectories. So try sharing your whole external drive and not just the Movies subdirectory.

mu_mind
    Participant

Hi jhb50!; thank you for your response. You are right!; I tried what you said and it worked, but with a little difference:
    1- I share the root directory on my external usb hard disk, buy I had the same problem
    2- I plug in my pen drive and did the same thing: it works …

so what’s the difference: the external usb hard drive is NTFS and the pen drive is FAT32; so I assumed that this is the problem.

It¿s a pitty because I have all my multimedia on externals NTFS hard drives; but I can survive with this.

thanks for your support, I’m very pleased to meet you.
    bye.-

cadbusca
    Participant

My H: is FAT and my I: is NTFS. Both work fine.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi _Alberto,
    you could check what are you actually sharing from your PC. On the PC click on the “start” menu and then on “Run…”. Type your IP address (e.g. \192.168.1.91 for me) and an explorer windows should be opened with all the shared folders.
    I have no problem in sharing NTFS and FAT disks or directories. The only issue is when I tried to share a DVD drive: in this case I obtained empty folder listing in wiimc (but no error).

asd0803
    Participant

I use a share on an external USB hard drive connected to my XP machine. I get the connection error when the USB drive is not spinning, and sometimes it takes a few moments for WiiMC to wake up my drive. If I browse to the USB drive via windows explorer (causing the disc to spin up) then try to access it via WiiMC it always works. Maybe your drive is just in sleep mode and is having a hard time being woken.

Anonymous
    Inactive

At first I thought it might be a spin-up problem as you suggested. After some more testing, it seems to be instead a problem in the samba code (see http://www.wiimc.org/tracker/index.php?do=details&task_id=285). Someone told me that other samba implementations had the same bug in the past, in some way related to the read-only nature of the device, but I didn’t know how it was fixed (and I didn’t find any solution by googling… ).
    Could you check if you have the same issue sharing a dvd drive?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password