Stream live feeds from URL through VLC?

Home Forums Third Party Enhancements VLC Shares Stream live feeds from URL through VLC?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    lokiMidgard
    Participant

If I have a URL of a live video feed that can be played through VLC, is it possible to send that same video to my wii? I guess what I am trying to determine is whether it is possible to send live video to my Wii without having to make a new plugin for every URL. I was thinking that if the video can play inside of the VLC player, then it could possibly be streamed straight through vlc-shares.

cadbusca
    Participant

Just add the url to onlinemedia.xml and the wii will play it if it is a supported protocol.

zany130
    Participant

just wait for 0.5.4. There will be a global video library with multi hoster support (direct url, megavideo, megaupload, youtube, veoh for sure, vimeo, videobb, google video, movshare and others are work in progress)

lokiMidgard
    Participant

Awesome!! It seems that more and more, sites are moving or URLs to adjust for legalities or a plethora of other reasons. The ability to quickly add feeds into wiimc/vlc-shares for these sites would be a massive improvement rather than making an entire plugin for a site that may be online for only a month or so.

lokiMidgard
    Participant

I am more and more impressed with WiiMC and VLC-shares lately. I am able to stream all of the live videos for my favorite golf tournament with no buffer/quality issues. Also, I am loving the icefilms script! Thanks jhb50 and ximarx!!
    A couple of questions:
    On some of the icefilms pages the videos list seems to stop before all of the movies are under a particular letter are shown-is there a way to increase the number of video entries?
    Also, is there any chance that someone is working on a tvlinks plugin? It works like icefilms generally but includes many more servers other than megavideo.

Currently I am a Playon subscriber for live tv channel feeds (showtime,fx, etc.) and for icefilms/tvlinks. If WiiMC and VLC-shares keeps maturing at this rate, I will be so happy to drop Playon/Pay-On/Pray-On.

cadbusca
    Participant

woompa: How are you getting the golf?

ximarx: Will you be including Crackle support in the new add-on. I’ll be happy to be one of your beta’s. its time i upgraded VLC-Shares.

lokiMidgard
    Participant

The masters tournament shows live high quality streams on their website so i grabbed the links to the video from internet download manager. they air up to 5 different feeds throughout each day of the tournament and the times that each feed starts and stops is different so the links are likely to be different each day. I had all 5 feeds available on wiimc but the main footage stream is at 3pm each day. Sky sports 1 has also been carrying the tournament as well if you check out feeds from myp2p.eu…I would love to get the ESPN stream but espn3 isnt covering it and espnnetworks.com supposedly is only available to brighthouse, verizon, and timewarner.

http://www.masters.com

I did have to append each of the links to include amp; after the &. (this was the first time I have ever modified an xml file)

zany130
    Participant

Crackle can’t be supported: i can’t work on it, no access to video feed from italy (and i don’t want use proxies)

cadbusca
    Participant

I see the masters has an rtmp feed and an http feed. The http feed should play directly in WIIMC via onlinemedia.xml. I assume you are streaming the rtmp feed via VLC-Shares. Is that correct?

lokiMidgard
    Participant

I only saw an http feed so that is what i am using
    for instance right now only holes 11,12,and 13 (amen corner) is airing so i have added the link to onlinemedia.xml but I had to change it to account for excepted semicolons. Below is my link. I did this for each of the videos offered.

<link name="Amen Corner" addr="http://masters2011-f.akamaihd.net/amen_1_564@49629?v=1.0.8.10&fp=WIN%2010,2,153,1&r=UMFWW&g=KMYGWGQEDUHB&quot; />

I have internet download manager so anytime a video comes up on my laptop it gives me the option to download it. I click download so it will bring up the feed link then I cancel the download once I have copied link.

lokiMidgard
    Participant

That is interesting about the rtmp because I did not see that one. Were you viewing a full size video?

If vlc-shares can play rtmp that is good to know because I have wanted to add other videos in that format that would not play from onlinemedia.xml

BTW the quality of the http feed is near perfect on my 32″ tv

Anonymous
    Inactive

@jhb50 wrote:

I assume you are streaming the rtmp feed via VLC-Shares. Is that correct?

Are you insuating that VLC can stream a rtmp feed? If so, please tell me how. It was my understanding that VLC is unable to.

Thank you.

zany130
    Participant

It can only on linux, so i never commit the patch for vlc-shares, keeping cross platform compatibility

cadbusca
    Participant

Is this a vlc bug or a windows restriction?

zany130
    Participant

None of both. Simply to use vlc to stream rtmp i use rtpmdump the following command:

rtmpdump STREAM_PARAMS -o - | vlc - TRANSCODING_PARAMS OUTPUT_PARAMS

and i don’t think that this can be done in windows env (the – char in rtmpdump and vlc means standard output, so vlc uses as source the output of rtmpdump directly)

Anyway i found some commit in vlc trunk code about integrating rtmpdump in vlc but i don’t know the current status of the merge or if it is available in the current version of vlc. When it will be available, vlc-shares will include rtmp support.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘VLC Shares’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password