USB Problems? Read This!

Home Forums Help and Support USB Problems? Read This!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 241 through 251 (of 251 total)
  • Author
    p.xoni
    Participant

Periodic crashes in WiiMC, but not all the time. WiiMC ver 1.2.2 (Blue Wii)
    usb 2.0 2TB Seagate drive = ST2000DL003 Firmware: CC32 with VanTech Enclosure = NST-300SU-BK green mode hard to disable and drive spins down on it’s own after a while. (tried hdparm hdparm -K1 -S0 /dev/hdd and hdparm -Z /dev/hdd to no avail). Used http://hdparm-win32.dyndns.org/hdparm/
    single fat32 partition
    😳
    Tried usb penstick as per Tantric, WiiMC still failed, I think it’s an issue with my WiiMC code itself. Did ios58 reinstall and HBC reinstall to ios58 as per below, WiiMC still crashed on penstick. Copied WiiMC ver 1.2.0 from Red Wii, videos on penstick now work well, probably was a corrupt auto download of WiiMC ver 1.2.2. Now need to test WiiMC 1.2.0 on 2TB usb 2.0 drive above.

p.xoni
    Participant

Another Wii (Red)
    WiiMC 1.2.0 crashes periodically, but not all the time. Used to be able to repeat the crash by exiting a video then starting a new one. Now no longer crashes consistently (I think because I moved the drives around)

Seagate usb 3.0 1TB Seagate = STAY1000102 (Power Saving Mode disabled in Seagate Manager)
    single fat32 partition
    😳

p.xoni
    Participant

If anyone is having “Install Failed” error when trying to run Tantric’s IOS58 installer. You can try this

-Ensure you have HBC Backup installed (refer to Mauifrog’s mod manual). It uses a different base then standard hbc ios58, so you can safely nuke ios58 and STILL run a version of HBC (Backup)
    -ensure you have Tantric’s IOS58 Installer in apps folder
    -get MMM-58-61_Hackmii_0.8_BB2.zip and put boot.elf into sd:appsupdateHBC . I found this in Bannerbomb v2 for 4.2e Wii system. This is the standard HBC installer. You just run this later from HBC to update itself so that it’s using ios58
    -copy AnyTitle Deleter to apps folder and run it from HBC Backup, delete ios58, reboot
    -go into HBC Backup, run ios58 installer, it will now work and not fail, reboot
    -go into HBC Backup, run the last program that will not have a cover image but is in the directory “updateHBC”. Run it. This reinstalls HBC into ios58

Your done!

p.s. I found deleting ios58 from MMM failed, and you still could not reinstall ios58 any way I tried.
    Below does not work, IMO 🙁
    http://gbatemp.net/topic/278219-ios58-installer-problem/page__st__15

LalmBlealry
    Participant

Hi,

this is my log.

Maxtor One Touch

Sometimes it crashes.

I don’t understand if after wake-up test, hdd hangs

Many thanks for your work guys !

:mrgreen:

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, I am having the same problem as others on here with random crashes when playing .avi files, I haven’t been crash free since 1.1.7. I am currently running 4.2u Black Wii with 2TB WD Green HD in generic enclosure. I have tried running from latest forwarder as well as latest 1.1.0 homebrew channel and still experience random crashes.

I have read elsewhere that PRELOADER can cause problems with some homebrew software. Since some people are reporting that WiiMC works perfectly is there any possibility that Preloader or some other software, firmware version, etc could be causing the crashes.

I love WiiMC which is why I have been patiently waiting for a fix, but the problem seems to be getting worse lately.

Could the people out there not having any problems playing avi’s give more info on your wii, (preloader?, BootMii?, firmware version?, etc). Thanks…. 😀

xtremegamer
    Participant

My Problem is that I am guessing that WiiMC looses connection with my USB Hard Drive because I get an error saying that “File cannot be read on USB1” when I’m watching a movie and when I click retry it goes back into the Hard Drive but other times when I click retry I have to click retry like 4-5 times before I give up and restart my Wii in order to get it working again.

My Wii is 4.1U, installed the IOS58 (per this forum and the Wiibrew page), Homebrew channel 1.1.0, IOS58 v24.31

My hard drive is:

Formatted by default NTFS (came that way when I bought it new)

Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 3.0 (backwards compatibility with 2.0).

Ideosconinnit
    Participant

Today I’d been having the error: Error opening usb1:/. I tried and tried everything I could think of along with others suggestions, and then I decided to use a flash drive and when installing it on my computer it had to restart the computer. I also had my Seagate drive connected at the time and when it restarted the computer automatically ran chkdsk on the Seagate and it found several indexing files that were corrupted and deleted them along with many other files that were messed up, it also fixed any errors on the harddrive. I no longer have that error and works fine. So it may not be a problem with your Wii, Homebrew, or WiiMC; it may be some corrupt index files on your hard drives that need fixing.

xtremegamer
    Participant

@Shrale wrote:

Today I’d been having the error: Error opening usb1:/. I tried and tried everything I could think of along with others suggestions, and then I decided to use a flash drive and when installing it on my computer it had to restart the computer. I also had my Seagate drive connected at the time and when it restarted the computer automatically ran chkdsk on the Seagate and it found several indexing files that were corrupted and deleted them along with many other files that were messed up, it also fixed any errors on the harddrive. I no longer have that error and works fine. So it may not be a problem with your Wii, Homebrew, or WiiMC; it may be some corrupt index files on your hard drives that need fixing.

I tried that and it took like around 5hrs to do a full chkdsk and I still get the “Error opening usb1:/” while watching a movie, however once I click “retry” or restart my Wii it works fine after that to the point were I can finish the movie I was watching.

I’ve only had my new WD Hard drive for less then a week so I can’t really say if it worked with older versions of WiiMC.

xtremegamer
    Participant

Alright I was able to run a test in which I used MPlayer CE (v0.80 r658) and I didn’t get the “Error opening usb1:/” or anything like that. It played the movie all the way till the end.

Maybe its because MPlayer CE supports both FAT32 and NTFS. However I still like WiiMC better because it reads my hard drive pretty fast unlike MPlayer CE in which it takes around 30 secs to 1 min and I can not reformat my new hard drive since i got around 230GB already on it, and my computer hard drive has only 86 GB free.

p.xoni
    Participant

Hi team,
    I have had a recent major success and I thought I would share it. A fat32 partition should just be a fat32 partition, right ? Should it mater which program you use to format it? Shouldn’t should it.

We I was having onto problems of WiiMC crashing at all sorts of times, on a mixture of different Wii’s and different (usually larger then 1TB or usb 3.0 type drives). I was pretty sure it was because of the larger sizes or usb 3.0 spec.
    I was able to fix the problem by downgrading to WiiMC 1.1.9 , so I just lived with the older version of WiiMC, and trained folks to NOT allow it to be updated.

My program of choice to format my drives at fat32 was “fat32format.exe”. It’s a cool utility, free and is totally command line, so you just put it into your c:windowssystem32 directory and run it from the command prompt like this fat32format e:
    works great, and drive is formated as fat32 in about 1 minute (std quick format). It’s a great utility. Then to my astonishment when I went into diskpart one day on one of the troublesome usb drives it was signified as a fat16 format. It was large, 2TB, but diskpart said it was fat16, wow. That’s weird, so the thinking cap went on and I decided to just reformat the entire drive (total pain) as fat32 using Acronis, which was recommend on another forum to get a Wii to recognize a 3TB usb drive properly (a different issue). Acronis has a disk management area, and formatting as fat32 takes only about 3 minutes. Then Ran Wii Backup Manger to reload my Wii game images, backup nand with my Virtual Console games, and emulator’s that store my roms on the usb drive. Takes a while.

But to my astonishment after upgrading WiiMC to the latest version, IT STOPPED PERIODICALLY CRASHING! Just wanted to report this, that a bad/sucky fat32 format can crash WiiMC. Using WiiMC 1.1.9 fixes the issue, but just properly reformatting the drive with Acronis is the real solution.

Acronis is my friend now and WiiMC runs perfectly on any drive that is formated with it. 😀

Please note, one of my “downgrades” was to just move over to MPlayer CE, but I find that interface totally sucky, so I found just using the older version of WiiMC 1.1.9 was a much better solution, and more user friendly.

wrightman
    Participant

One rapid question:
    the link for “small tester application” doesn’t work.
    Actually is this one:

http://www.wiimc.org/files/USB%20Test%201.12.zip

The development is stopped or other?

Thanks for any answer. 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 241 through 251 (of 251 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password