Here’s how to play your HD files with WiiMC

Home Forums Help and Support Here’s how to play your HD files with WiiMC

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    rodries
    Keymaster

Of course, you get 480p instead of 480i. Component cables make a big difference.

javrodr
    Participant

First off, I am using component cables and running 480p resolution on the Wii.

A couple of questions.

A lot of my videos are in 16:9 format. What is the maximum display resolution that the Wii can output? If my math is correct, I should be scaling my 1280 x 720 files to 853.333 x 480, if I want to max out my resolution.

However, I’ve heard that the Wii can only do 720 x 480? Will I have to downscale my files to 720 x 405?

cadbusca
    Participant

Depends on 2 things:
    1) The aspect ratio of the original video. Scale down to keep it.
    2) The video codec used. 1280 is probably AVC and the WII can only handle up to 640 without going out of sync so Width = 40 & Height = 640/original Aspect ratio

But the better solution is to use VLC-Shares and keep you original video files on the PC.

rodries
    Keymaster

Anything over 640×480 will be downscaled. WiiMC can play files up to 1280×720. But a file of that resolution will more than likely play choppily for you – the Wii just can’t process it fast enough. So yes I would suggest downscaling them prior to playback, 720×405 sounds like a good resolution. I just did this myself for some files – the original files were 1280×720 h264 and I re-encoded them to 720×405 divx. They play great now!

You can also try 853.333 x 480 and see what happens. It will definitely play, you’ll just have find out how well. I would stay away from using h264 if possibly though – that codec takes a lot more processing power than others do.

bishop05
    Participant

I got this working! thanks!

Commission Crusher
    Participant

Is it only possible to stream these HD videos?
    I cant play them smoothly when they are on my external usb drive?

I tried a 720p bluray rip in .mkv and it was really running buggy…

thanks

cadbusca
    Participant

I don’t understand your question. Have you read these forums and tried VLC Shares?

Commission Crusher
    Participant

@jhb50 wrote:

I don’t understand your question. Have you read these forums and tried VLC Shares?

simple as can be:

can i play HD files from my USB ?

I do not want to have my pc running a stream just to watch a video, that seems pointless…

cadbusca
    Participant

The point is that’s “how to play your HD files with WiiMC”.

hypnotoad
    Participant

ok right,
    but may i ask what exactly is my “pc server url?”

is that my computer’s ip address or my router’s ip address?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@zerinol wrote:

is that my computer’s ip address or my router’s ip address?

It should be your PC address.

bakeapples
    Participant

Just some quick but useful tips for newbies… 😎 💡

To get your IP Address, press Win+R, type cmd, run ipconfig and get the first address that looks like this: 192.168.???.???

Also, if you’re getting a “File not found” error on WiiMC after waiting for about a minute or so, go to “Network and Sharing Center -> Windows Firewall -> Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall -> Change settings” and check if the “VLC media player” entry has a check mark before it.

And finally, on VLC you may need to click on “View -> Add Interface -> Web“.

It worked for me! :mrgreen:
    I hope this also helps someone else out there! 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password