USB Problems? Read This!

Home Forums Help and Support USB Problems? Read This!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 251 total)
  • Author
    aka107
    Participant

@clava wrote:

I don’t know if it makes sense but… I tried to run the USB Test app (1.11 and 1.12) on an external USB DVD drive. Unfortunately I got an exception after the first test and no log. Any idea?

Because I try to read a 512byte sector but dvd is 2048
    Download test again I’ve increased the buffer size.

aftermath
    Participant

Thank you so much Tantric and all the team! Keep up the good work. Cheers from Russia)
    Here’s my log. Also the drive works fine – i don’t know why it didn’t pass the tests. It’s WD My Book Premium (WD5000P032) With the hard drive swapped from 500Gb to 640Gb WD 10EALX (Wd Caviar blue sata3). Hope my info will be of help…
    PS I unplugged and plugged back in the drive as instructed.

aka107
    Participant

@zod1 wrote:

Thank you so much Tantric and all the team! Keep up the good work. Cheers from Russia)
    Here’s my log. Also the drive works fine – i don’t know why it didn’t pass the tests. It’s WD My Book Premium (WD5000P032) With the hard drive swapped from 500Gb to 640Gb WD 10EALX (Wd Caviar blue sata3). Hope my info will be of help…
    PS I unplugged and plugged back in the drive as instructed.

Uhmm, interesting log
    Can you download the test again & retry?
    I’ve done a little change

@turley wrote:

best regards

Please download usb test again.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@rodries wrote:

@clava wrote:

I don’t know if it makes sense but… I tried to run the USB Test app (1.11 and 1.12) on an external USB DVD drive. Unfortunately I got an exception after the first test and no log. Any idea?

Hi Rodries,
    here’s the log from an HP external USB Drive CD/DVD R/RW. I run the test with a UDF formatted DVD loaded.

aka107
    Participant

@clava wrote:

@rodries wrote:

@clava wrote:

Hi Rodries,
    here’s the log from an HP external USB Drive CD/DVD R/RW. I run the test with a UDF formatted DVD loaded.

The device is compatible with the usbstorage, but we have to make changes in wiimc to redirect dvd calls to usb device. I’m not sure if it’s an easy task and we haven’t an usb dvd drive, so you will have to be the tester.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@rodries wrote:

The device is compatible with the usbstorage, but we have to make changes in wiimc to redirect dvd calls to usb device. I’m not sure if it’s an easy task and we haven’t an usb dvd drive, so you will have to be the tester.

In the past I tried to do exactly what you are suggesting, using a trick in the code to map the dvd device to the usb one. It didn’t work and the wiimc exited with an exception. Now I’m wondering if the patch of the usb_test for the 2048 sector size can be applied to wiimc… What’s your opinion?

… and I would be honored to be the tester 😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

I saw the message on the front page, thought I’d help out and run the test.
    Did that and everything was OK but after “Device wake up OK!!” msg, nothing else happened. I let it sit there for a few minutes and then hit ‘Home’ to exit, thinking it must be done. However, my ‘log_usb.txt’ file is 0kb…

Is there a “tests now complete” msg or something that I should have waited for?
    If so, how long after the wake up test should I expect it to appear?
    If ‘no’, any idea what happened to result in 0kb?

sickpuppy
    Participant

@rodries wrote:

@Btc wrote:

And no, I didn’t compile the latest sources of Wiimc to test this issue, the latest version that I tested was Wiimc 1.1.1, that is why I am hoping you to launch the new version soon… 😉

Try this compiled version & report: http://www.mediafire.com/?zp4oytj5ebdb1w5
    Has been compiled with special flags to try to manage big files.

Nice work rodries and team, It really played the MPEG2 video file of 7,82GB that has 02:15:00 of length. But it only showed the correct length via USB (NTFS), not via SMB.

Please don’t forget to do the same correction when loading from SMB and please do launch a new version soon 😉

Dag Wieers
    Participant

new test

cadbusca
    Participant

@rodries wrote:

@Btc wrote:

And no, I didn’t compile the latest sources of Wiimc to test this issue, the latest version that I tested was Wiimc 1.1.1, that is why I am hoping you to launch the new version soon… 😉

Are these special flags in the SVN’s yet? I would like to do this compile together with my patches.

Also what about these various USB changes. Are they in the SVN’s? Here is why I’d lke to know.

Based on the posted test results which seemed to work, I purchased a Seagate GO 500GB Portable USB drive. Since my SD Socket is broken, I cannot run the test, but with SVN742 this drive boots WIIMC correctly from any number of apps subdirectories and settings are written back correctly. (Note there is a 40+second delay while loading from USB – Is this part of the target fixes?). Since my Enclosure/Hitachi Drive will only boot if there is a single apps subdirectory, the new GO drive appears satisfactory. My concern is with the subsequent USB changes being made. If they impact the function of this new drive then I need to return it and get a drive that works..hence my need to compile and test WIIMC with the latest USB changes(since I can’t run the test with a broken SD card) to see if the GO drive still works.

Any suggestions on how to do this would be appreciated.

rodries
    Keymaster

@jhb50 wrote:

Are these special flags in the SVN’s yet? I would like to do this compile together with my patches.

No, it’s not just a matter of flags. There’s some issues in libogc and newlib that need to be addessed. Both of those are outside of this project and will be released in due time.

@jhb50 wrote:

Also what about these various USB changes. Are they in the SVN’s? Here is why I’d lke to know.

No. The USB changes are not finished. When they are, they will be committed to libogc.

@jhb50 wrote:

Based on the posted test results which seemed to work, I purchased a Seagate GO 500GB Portable USB drive. Since my SD Socket is broken, I cannot run the test, but with SVN742 this drive boots WIIMC correctly from any number of apps subdirectories and settings are written back correctly. (Note there is a 40+second delay while loading from USB – Is this part of the target fixes?). Since my Enclosure/Hitachi Drive will only boot if there is a single apps subdirectory, the new GO drive appears satisfactory. My concern is with the subsequent USB changes being made. If they impact the function of this new drive then I need to return it and get a drive that works..hence my need to compile and test WIIMC with the latest USB changes(since I can’t run the test with a broken SD card) to see if the GO drive still works.

Any suggestions on how to do this would be appreciated.

Can’t help you with compiling with the “new” changes – these changes aren’t finished yet! There’s nothing to compile yet – be patient! But what I can tell you is that the goal is to get more USB devices working, not less. If your drive already works on WiiMC using IOS58, you have nothing to worry about. Compatibility will only get better, not worse. That’s the point of taking the time to run tests while making these changes, to avoid a situation where we fix some devices while breaking others.

Delay time might be somewhat improved, but remember that your drive is spinning up. A delay also occurs when plugging into a PC too while you wait for it to spinup and Windows to detect it.

SajorMD
    Participant

My hard drive passed all the test, but problem with my Western Digital My Passport Elite 640 GB is that when i start to see a movie sometimes it stop and gives me a error that it can’t find my hard drive and i have to unplug to be able to play again or restart application.

HagBitlaultus
    Participant

I’m so happy to see that you guys finally found a great way how to deal with this problem. My HDD used to work flawlessly with earlier versions of WiiMC, but as far as I can remember it was version 1.0.9 when my HDD would simply not be recognized at all. Situation hasn’t changed since then not even with the most recent unofficial beta compiles 😕

I hope USB Problems will be solved in future if lots of people are helping by submitting their scans. Here’s mine:

cadbusca
    Participant

First thanks to Tantric for the detailed reply regarding these changes. Based on the results of this thread and my own results I will keep my Seagate Go 500GB drive. It is partitioned with a 2GB FAT for holding my WII Apps and the remainder for holding my video/audio library.

Others my benefit from knowing that this drive is on sale for $54.99 at this link until Saturday Jan 15 http://www.staples.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-500GB-Go-Portable-Hard-Drive-(black)/product_757896_HC2
    While this is the previous model it is in a metal rather than plastic case, and without all the extra plugs and size of the new GoFlex. Rather than buy a 1TB drive, for the same price I now have 2-500GB drives which gives me backup of my backup, something I now realise I need since my old Seagate 300 GB backup/archive drive just died!

aka107
    Participant

@Btc wrote:

@rodries wrote:

@Btc wrote:

Nice work rodries and team, It really played the MPEG2 video file of 7,82GB that has 02:15:00 of length. But it only showed the correct length via USB (NTFS), not via SMB.

Please don’t forget to do the same correction when loading from SMB and please do launch a new version soon 😉

Try this beta & report: http://www.mediafire.com/?ob2kbapidt3ff9m

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 251 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password