Crash dumps since the last update – Sample file included

Home Forums Help and Support Crash dumps since the last update – Sample file included

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Drew Buglione
    Participant

Just got 1.1.9 the other day and now most things I try to play crash out with a dump file. These are videos I’ve watched before so I know they work. I can also play them just fine from my laptop.

They are just standard AVI files streaming over my LAN like I’ve been doing ever since I install WiiMC long ago.

I just downloaded the 1.1.8 version and copied it over the 1.1.9 version and I can now play the videos just fine. Except I lost all my settings. 🙁 If I have time later I’ll try updating again and seeing if it breaks it.

Thanks.

Drew Buglione
    Participant

I tried updating to 1.2.0 today and everything I’ve tried to play just crashes right away. These are just plain AVI files.

I snapped a picture of the crash screen in case it helps to shed any light on what the problem might be.
    Can anyone help?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1787993/wiimc_crash.JPG

rodries
    Keymaster

Can’t do anything without a sample of a file that crashes.

Katherine Amateur
    Participant

Having the exact same problem. It doesn’t matter what file I play, even ones I’ve used before it just does a stack dump. I’ve tried removing WiiMC and reinstalling it, a new SD card, putting videos on a different USB stick, and nothing fixes it. I’ve even tried going back to previous versions, and they do the same thing. HELP! 😥

techtoys
    Participant

Same issue here – all videos that used to work now cause the player crash to this same screen upon trying to run them (as well as lock up the harddrive until I disconnect power and plug it back in – nothing will recognize the harddrive until I do this, and running a video in WiiMC causes the same crash, reloads the Wii, and locks the harddrive up again). WiiMC always starts up fine, and is able to run MP3s, just not videos. I removed WiiMC and reinstalled a fresh version. This appeared to fix the problem – I was able to run a video through to completion. However, the next time I ran the program and started a video, the problem had returned (and again is caused by any attempt to run a video). (EDIT: All of a sudden, I’ve finally gotten a video to play without changing anything. So it’s seemingly random when it works and when it doesn’t, though it’s been more likely not to. The reinstallation probably didn’t affect anything.)

Since you want an example of a video that appears to cause this issue (at least for me), I can tell you that it most recently occurred upon trying to run a 43 min, 358MB AVI (720×544 resolution) with XVID compression. It’s part of a TV show, from which I’ve already watched dozens of other episodes of the same format that all ran fine – all of which now also cause the crash as well. So I’m not sure if it’s caused by a specific format or size, but to me, it appears unrelated.

Incidentally, my harddrive is a 500GB external Seagate FreeAgent. It has a powersaving mode, but I’ve been sure to have that turned off as long as it’s being used by the Wii. The Wii is 4.1U, NTSC. I also regularly run WiiMC via the forwarder channel. Any advice is much appreciated!

Drew Buglione
    Participant

We have the issue almost every time we play anything. First time it will crash the program. Second time (same video) it will decide to work. Sometimes it’s the 3rd try when it works. No idea why it would do that or what.

I stream all my videos from another computer so I thought maybe it could be the network connection but others have them on a USB HDD so I guess that’s probably not it.

I can upload a video that has given us the problem but since the same video will then work the 2nd or 3rd time, not sure if that will help.

Drew Buglione
    Participant

So here’s the sample file you asked for.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1787993/Battlestar_Galactica_-_S02E11.mkv

I booted up my Wii, ran WiiMC, selected the file, and it crashed.
    After the reboot I did it again, and it crashed again.
    After the reboot I did it again, and it crashed again.
    After the third reboot, I played it for the 4th time and it started right up and played to completion. This seems to happen almost every time I run WiiMC and play a file.

Would love if someone could figure out why.

rodries
    Keymaster

Have you tried removing the no_ios_reload line from the meta.xml?

Drew Buglione
    Participant

@Tantric wrote:

Have you tried removing the no_ios_reload line from the meta.xml?

Since I don’t know what that means, no I haven’t. I assume that’s in a folder on my SD card somewhere?

rodries
    Keymaster

Yes, in apps/wiimc/meta.xml

delete the whole line that says

cadbusca
    Participant

FYI, I have NOT removed the line and the submitted file plays fine for me and the embedded subs display. I tried playing multiple times, jumped back and forth in the video and resumed it. They all work as they should.

Drew Buglione
    Participant

@jhb50 wrote:

FYI, I have NOT removed the line and the submitted file plays fine for me and the embedded subs display. I tried playing multiple times, jumped back and forth in the video and resumed it. They all work as they should.

Same for me once it played the first time. I haven’t had any other problems so far today. No explanation as to why it crashed the first 3 tries though. It’s been buggy ever since that update last week or so ago.

rodries
    Keymaster

Yes, but I’m asking you to try removing that line to see if you’re actually running into the HBC network init bug. Please do so, and report back if you continue to experience crashes or not.

Katherine Amateur
    Participant

I removed that line, and it still does the same thing. It just seems so random. Sometimes I can get it working first try and sometimes it crashed 3 or 4 times before it works. I’ve used the same files that worked previously, and same issue. I’ve tried with a hard drive, SD Card, USB stick and same thing. Sometimes it even goes to black screen just by going to the options menu, not even starting a video, and sometimes it works for hours with no problem. Yesterday I was able to watch a MKV file with no problem on first try, shut down the Wii for a few hours, restarted the Wii to watch something last night, and it took 5 tries to get it to play regular AVI files (Survivor from Wednesday). Has anyone figured out why the program is acting so strange. I love using this program, and don’t want to go back GeeXbox, but it’s frustrating. Thanks again.
    😀

rodries
    Keymaster

Can you try with nothing plugged into the USB ports and see if you still get a crash?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password