Crash dumps since the last update – Sample file included

Home Forums Help and Support Crash dumps since the last update – Sample file included

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    jamied486
    Participant

I, like many of these other people have been having the same problem. I ended up reverting to 1.1.8 in an attempt to get round the problem because it was just too flaky for words.

I’m quite sure that 1.1.8 worked fine, almost never crashing; that’s why I chose that version to revert to.

Now I find that even 1.1.8 is unstable and like others here, from one attempt to the next I can’t be sure that it’s going to play a file or not. I would note however that if it plays a file OK, I can usually stop or finish that file, and then play others without any problems.

The crash ONLY happens for me on the first file played after starting wiimc. I always start from the channel forwarder. I haven’t tried the HBC route yet; I’ll give that a go.

It would be great to get this fixed, as we can’t disable the update nag, and like some people here, dismissing the nag seems to cause problems too.

Pryce
    Participant

Same problem. Over 80% files crashes. But, if i am lucky and find a file that works (never the same), every single file works then… until i close app and start again. 🙁

Tried removing xml line, updating channel, new installation, starting with hbc… installation from scratch… everything.

Something is terribly wrong with 1.1.9 and 1.2. I’ve been using this since first version and never had this problems.

Hope Tantric figures it out soon.

rodries
    Keymaster

I have no idea since this doesn’t happen to me. You’re out of luck, at least from my side.

min68
    Participant

I am recieving the same DSI error with the 8 second reboot when i try to play any video content on wiimc. Before upgrading to this version and the latest channel everything worked fine on previous versions for the past 8 months.

Drew Buglione
    Participant

Two days ago my wife couldn’t get anything to play. Thing crashed and rebooted 5-6 times and she finally gave up. Now today it’s playing just fine.

Really freaking annoying but impossible to reproduce on a regular basis.

jayme
    Participant

I know this is not much help but I am also getting crashes. It usually crashes first time I run it, I then turn it off and then back on again and start WiiMC through WiiMC channel and it usually plays the file fine. I will try editing the xml file as suggested.

jayme
    Participant

Making the suggested edit to the xml file seemed to resolve the problem…for a while. The problem came back after I deleted a few video files from my hard drive.

I think I have noticed a way to tell if the crash is going to happen. When I open WiiMC, if it takes me straight to the directory I was last viewing a file from then any video I select will load up fine. However, if I open WiiMC and I am taken to the device selection (SD cardor USB drive) then any video file I choose will give me a crash dump and return to Wii channel select after 8 seconds.

I have only noticed this pattern a few days ago but it seems to be holding true. So, if I now open WiiMC and am asked to choose a device then I turn the Wii off and then back on again and re-open WiiMC. It usually takes me to the folder I was last viewing a file from and then loads any video fine.

Pryce
    Participant

if I open WiiMC and I am taken to the device selection (SD cardor USB drive) then any video file I choose will give me a crash dump and return to Wii channel select after 8 seconds.

Interesting. I have noticed as well that now wiimc does not “remember” settings. It forgets some of them everytime it is opened. Like video 16:9, subtitles codification… etc.

So I *think* if it takes you back to device selection it is because it “forgets”.

Maybe something to do with the way settings are written to config file?

Just in case…

BTW, my “solution” was to get back to 1.1.8, and only use 1.2 for youtube.

cadbusca
    Participant

I had problems losing settings as well so I modified my WIIMC to make a number of changes, so that failures in allocating buffers or failing to save or load settings.xml, generate error messages, rather than overwriting it with the default settings. I also generate a message and exit rather than overwrite it if the version in the settings file is > the version of WIIMC being loaded, as happens if you revert a level. These all allow any problems to be fixed without losing the existing settings. This might explain your problems.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I also have experienced a lot of crash dumps in the new version
    I have noticed that if I play the last video that I was watching the chances of it dumping is much less. Although it still happens. I would assume the bug is in the last file played/last folder used part of the code if that part was updated during the last change. If I play one movie, stop it and load a different one it never crashes, only on the first movie loaded. I don’t think I’ve ever had it crash during playback.

I went back to the older version. More stable, although it takes a bit longer for the files to initially load

ffail
    Participant

I also have a lot of random crashes when trying to load from external HD. I also noticed it crashes less when loading from pendrive from the same usb port.

Drew Buglione
    Participant

The one thing I’ve noticed is that when it does crash, I can always tell because it sits at the Loading screen for longer than normal. I’m almost wondering if it’s a connectivity issue that it’s trying to cache the video, running into some sort of problem, and then crashing out.

I tried changing the cache setting to 10% but it didn’t seem to help. I do all my movies over Wifi but it’s a perfectly fine signal so not sure what the issue is.

Last night I played the same video 4-5 times and then it finally decided to work. Any chance an update can be pushed out that includes some more logging to help troubleshoot this and figure out the root cause? It seems to be happening to enough people that some steps to figure it out should be taken…

I’m willing to be a guinea pig.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m adding myself to the list of people getting the black screen code dump (reloading in 8 sec) as i’ve had MAJOR problems with this happening on 5 wii’s i installed v1.2.0 on. All five Wii’s load using the channel forwarder and have WiiMC on SD card. On the two Wii’s i have here infront of me right now they are both crashing on certain video files, others are working. I have one mp4 file that crashes everytime, on both systems, yet others in the same directory are working. If i insert an SD card with v1.1.8 on they work perfectly, so it’s only happening on v1.2.0.
    I wish i could pin-point it down a bit more, i’ll have to experiment some more, one thing is i may have kept the channel forwarder installed from v1.1.8, as the channel forwarder and v1.1.8 program were downloaded as a pair on the same date, and when i downloaded v1.2.0 i continued using the same forwarder channel as i saw no reason to remove and reinstall it as there was no v1.2.0 forwarder, just the v1.1.9 forwarder on the latest section of the downloads. Is this possibly relevant?

Inferno
    Participant

i am new to the forum, i have problems with audio sync and shit, and youtube stoped working
    it crashes and shows the dump screen 8 second reload
    thankyou.

Galahad
    Participant

yep I’ve had the black screen making wiimc totally useless ever since that last update. I am streaming vids from a network share. I’m also using the channel version.

Anyway, here is what I did to fix it. I loaded wiimc via homebrew app instead of from the home wii screen. Seems to be working ok now so the problem must be with the channel version of things. Hope this helps someone.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 80 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password