Crash dumps since the last update – Sample file included

Home Forums Help and Support Crash dumps since the last update – Sample file included

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Drew Buglione
    Participant

No Joy. Still crashes like crazy most of the time. It won’t play any files at all. Then after the 6th or 7th crash/reboot it will decide to start working fine. Then it will play any file at all until I exit.

*sigh*

ffail
    Participant

Same here. I tried a lot of videos and sometimes it runs fine, without crashing, other times it crashes 1 or 2 times and sometimes i can get that video after 6 crashes!

churlottesorangl
    Participant

I get these dumps all the time. I’ve tried completely starting over with my softmods using the most updated guide from wiihacks. I’ve reformatted my hard drive, checked the disk, defragmented and ran Rodries tester app. My USB device passed all tests. I did notice that after running the Seinfeld episode “the stakeout” I could run all the other videos without crashing. Something about playing that certain file in a way “unlocked” the other ones. However, that solution has stopped working lately. I’ve had some luck using MPlayerWii. It’s not a very pretty program and it doesn’t have features like playing the next video automatically (which is important to me), but it’s a backup for those videos that just keep crash dumping in wiimc. I’m going to try switching out hard drives tomorrow and see if that does anything. I’m also going to try WiiMC+ Enhancement Pack and see if that changes anything.

Drew Buglione
    Participant

Argh! It had been doing so well lately… Then just now it took me 10 tries to get a darn video to play.

Is there any information we can provide to try to troubleshoot this? Is there a version I can install that has some extra debugging settings on or anything? I’d be happy to try to get to the bottom of this.

It has nothing to do with any specific file since once one file plays, they all play, and if one file doesn’t, none of them will. *sigh*

belfegor
    Participant

Adding myself to the list with soft mod Wii 4.3u.

After I updated from version 1.1.7 to 1.1.9 started get BlkSOD (BlackScreenOfDeath) very frequent. When I updated to 1.2.0 it got worse. Things seem to have gotten better with 1.2.2 but nowhere as stable as 1.1.7.

I do have to say the Developers have done a nice job with this software. Keep up the great work!

ffail
    Participant

With version 1.2.3 it doesn’t crash. It just freeze and to reboot you have to hard reset wii from the console.

ejose0909
    Participant

@Killshot wrote:

With version 1.2.3 it doesn’t crash. It just freeze and to reboot you have to hard reset wii from the console.

Same here…
    I was running version 1.2.2 with no crash, but I had the bad idea of updating my Wii with Pimp My Wii
    Then I got the exactly the symptoms described in this thread, with a black screen and restarting in 8 secs.
    And with version 1.2.3, the problem remains, except it doesn’t crash with a black screen but the rolling ring freezes instead of starting the movie…

Really, I think the problem came with the update (Pimp My Wii 2.29)
    Maybe the new version of IOS58 has compatibility issues ?
    If you ask, I can tell you the version of IOS58 I have now, but I can’t tell you the version I had when everything worked with 1.2.2 of WiiMC

I NEVER use a forwarder or a WiiMC Channel.
    I ALWAYS use the Homebrew Channel
    So for me it doesn’t come from the forwarder itself

ffail
    Participant

@gvaiss wrote:

@Killshot wrote:

Same here…
    I was running version 1.2.2 with no crash, but I had the bad idea of updating my Wii with Pimp My Wii
    Then I got the exactly the symptoms described in this thread, with a black screen and restarting in 8 secs.
    And with version 1.2.3, the problem remains, except it doesn’t crash with a black screen but the rolling ring freezes instead of starting the movie…

Really, I think the problem came with the update (Pimp My Wii 2.29)
    Maybe the new version of IOS58 has compatibility issues ?
    If you ask, I can tell you the version of IOS58 I have now, but I can’t tell you the version I had when everything worked with 1.2.2 of WiiMC

I NEVER use a forwarder or a WiiMC Channel.
    I ALWAYS use the Homebrew Channel
    So for me it doesn’t come from the forwarder itself

I used PMW when i bought wii so my wiimc has always crashed with black screen crash dump. Maybe i didn’t have to use it.

Shnazzyone
    Participant

Solution for 95% of crashes of WiiMC:

DEFRAG your USB-Harddisk

WiiMC doesn’t like fragmented video files.

AND

If you start WiiMC and it was connected before to a network device (SMB, FTP) and
    you get an Connection Lost Error:

Then dont try to start a video from a USB-HDD – you will get a freeze!

First change to the HDD folder > then close/restart WiiMC(WiiMC has to write the change in its configuration file) > then you can play again videos from HDD.

pragy
    Participant

I have had problems with wiimc crashing on certain video files (mostly avi and mp4) in 1.2.2 – maybe they started when HBC was updated – I can’t remember. I did however find a workaround which consisted of always starting a certain .rm video file or .mpg file before starting anything else – this always worked. Until 1.2.3 – which froze (no crash) when starting ALL video files.

Being a software developer myself I followed the compile instructions and built the 1.2.3 version myself – funnily enough this version now always hung when initiating the network instead – although it should’ve been built from the same source as the official 1.2.3 – unless the devkit itself had been bumped one revision after the official 1.2.3 was built – not sure. Anyway, I looked through the network initialization code and didn’t find anything that would cause this change in behaviour. Debugging it a bit I found that the net_init_async() call returned immediately so I looked at the libogc code – where I found that the current libogc (1.8.9) introduced a change in net_init_async() that was recently reverted. So I pulled down the latest libogc source and build it – and then rebuilt wiimc against this version.

This version seems to fix the network initialization problem – and I have yet to make it crash when playing a video file – so it looks really good so far.

This version can be found here for this willing or desperate 🙂 to try: http://pallansson.homeip.net/wiimc.zip

And last, but not least, my warmest thanks for a great piece of software!

rodries
    Keymaster

I didn’t use the official libogc release, I also compiled libogc from SVN. So it sounds like you and I both built from the same sources – but possibly my build is broken somehow? I will try rebuilding some of the dependencies and see if that helps.

rodries
    Keymaster

Could you try this beta?

http://www.wiimc.org/files/beta.zip

pragy
    Participant

Yup, that beta seems to work for me – no problems with the network initialization part hanging.

Btw I still have the same problems as in 1.2.2 and 1.2.3 – watching certain videos – seems like problem just moved around for some reason – have problems with different files now. Both my build and your beta build. It is all very strange.

whiskeycoke
    Participant

To bring up a (slightly) old topic; Since updating to version 1.2.3, crashes became *constant* upon loading a file. For a time, I reverted myself to 1.2.2, which helped, until doing routine updates to my media server, which conicedentally seems to have isolated where my crashes lie.

Upon updating my Debian Squeeze machine to Samba version 3.5.6 (current stable) even version 1.2.2 of WiiMC seemed to crash upon loading 80% or more of video files. I was unable to isolate it to any specific file. Switching WiiMC to load my media via FTP has removed 100% of crashes thus far, and I have played a few dozen files at this point.

I decided then to re-update WiiMC to 1.2.3, and indeed loading the same files via FTP rather than SMB results in no crashes. Even loading via the channel loader (which has been forbidden for me since I posted last september about it) successfully loads and plays all files with no crash dumps in sight.

Somehow WiiMC and Samba do not mix well. Exactly how is beyond my capabilities in determining, but I thought it helpful to share. I have (so far) solved all my crashing issues by connecting to my same media via FTP.

If I have not said it previously, thanks Tantric for a great piece of software, keep up the good work, you have brought *plenty* of usefulness to the Wii well and beyond what nintendo could envision.

-darkwind

ejose0909
    Participant

Hello to everybody

I found a way to avoid the freeze in 1.2.3 and be certain the video will start.
    The video files I watch are almost all in the same single shared folder.
    When I start WiiMC, I get the network initialization, then I see the files in this folder (let’s name it Share1)
    What I do is:
    – Start WiiMC. After network initialization, it shows me the content of Share1 (last directory I browsed)
    – Press B to return to the root of WiiMC, with SD, USB, Share1, Share2, Share3, Share4, Share5, Share6, Share7, Share8
    – Browse to Share2 (see the note * below)
    – Press B again
    – Browse to Share1 again
    – Start the movie I want to watch in Share1

I have been using this method for weeks, and I got absolutly NO freezes.
    Before doing that, I was rushing directly to the movie I wanted to watch, and I was getting (like everyone here) unpredictable freezes at the start of the movie.

* Strange thing at this step:
    Sometimes It opens Share2 normaly.
    Sometimes I get an error in opening SMB share. What I do is click on “Retry”, and it always works. The strange part is that sometimes it displays the content of Share2, sometimes it displays the content of… Share5 !!
    In both cases, I continue with the method (B, then browse to Share1, then start the movie). And it works !

I hope this will help those who have the problem to get around it.
    And maybe it will help Trantic too to find the cause of the problem and correct it

WiiMC is really a wonderful media player. I really hope the bad freeze bug will soon be solved…

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • The forum ‘Help and Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Login

Lost Password