Expanded Windows Compile Guide

Home Forums Development Expanded Windows Compile Guide

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 216 total)
  • Author
    stickman
    Participant

Thanks, I was able to compile successfully. However, it froze my wii immediately upon starting wiimc, it’s now using R645.

stickman
    Participant

Successfully compiled R647 and able to start wiimc, and able to play mkv files(both audio and video), prior to this revision, I could not make wiimc play mkv files, most of the time it has sound, but the video got stuck.

However, there is an anormally, in revision 599 or ealier, it can recognize my portable hdd, at R647, I have to unplug and plug back in (after wiimc start) to make the hdd recognized by wiimc.

Edit: Unfortunately, the mkv video start to lose audio after a few minutes of playing, when I tried to fast forward the video, it crashed. I restarted wiimc, I played the same mkv file, and I fast forward, this time, the audio and video out of sync. Something is not right, none the less, it is an improvement in the right direction.

Edit 2: Updated devkitPro (didn’t realize there was an update), recompiled R647. On one of the mkv file, the audio and video is out of sync, the second mkv file, after a few seconds of loading, wiimc crashed. The regular avi file I tried can be played without any problem, including fast forward/backward, etc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok, let me update on my status, as noone could help me. Thing is i had MinGW installed in not-default directory (it’s not acceptable to me to install stuff directly to c: root). So after some detective work, i have modified the file (d:developingdevkitPromsysetcfstab) from

c:/mingw /mingw

to

d:/developing/mingw /mingw

Basically, mount paths had to be changed. That was also the root of another error i had before (where I couldn’t compile from devkitPro MSYS window, but I had to use MSYS from MinGW installation). Anyhow, just for the reference..

Anonymous
    Inactive
    cd source/mplayer; make -f Makefile; cd ../..
    make[1]: Entering directory `/d/developing/wii/wiimc/source/mplayer'
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `ffmpeg/libavformat/rtpdec.h/asm.h', needed by `ffmpeg/libavformat/libavformat.a'. Stop.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/d/developing/wii/wiimc/source/mplayer'

Probably not my fault this time :X

Anyone else? I’m on r657

cadbusca
    Participant

I continue to compile the latest SVN’s correctly using the Expanded Windows Compile Guide instructions I have published above. If you choose not to follow those instructions you are essentially on your own.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What a friendly community 😉 Thanks.

FYI, I’m following instructions, the install paths are different..

cadbusca
    Participant

I’d hardly call the following as following the instructions.
    – I used MinGW as compile environment
    – I moved files from library manually
    – I deleted old wiimc directory
    – I Opened up MinGW msys
    – I have modified the file (d:developingdevkitPromsysetcfstab)
    If you know what you are doing then that’s fine, but don’t criticize others for not knowing what you are doing or why it won’t work when you chose to do your own thing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I perfectly know what I’m doing. I never got any of my questions answered here (that’s why I’m ranting, not criticizing anyone), yet I solved them all.. BTW I asked if anyone has same error building latest SVN, nothing more, yet you had to go and attack.

If you even barely looked at the explanation of error message i pasted, you would see why I needed to confirm weather it’s a problem on SVN or locally.

Quote from GNU MAKE error messages:

This means that make decided it needed to build a target, but then couldn’t find any instructions in the makefile on how to do that, either explicit or implicit (including in the default rules database).

If you want that file to be built, you will need to add a rule to your makefile describing how that target can be built. Other possible sources of this problem are typos in the makefile (if that filename is wrong) or a corrupted source tree (if that file is not supposed to be built, but rather only a prerequisite).

If you’re up for it, goto wiimc dir and type make clean, then make. See if you get the error. I started clean this time, perhaps this is why I have the error.

cadbusca
    Participant

I guess I need to say it again.

“I continue to compile the latest SVN’s correctly using the Expanded Windows Compile Guide instructions I have published above.”

That includes svn658 as updated 58 minutes ago.

I provided this Enhanced Guide thread for those who newbies who need a basic set of working instructions so that they could have access to the Enhancement Pack without the clutter of problems being encountered by those who choose to do it differently. Unfortunately you are cluttering it with problems of your own making which does nothing to reassure others that the Compile Guide is correct and that Compiling WIIMC is easy and problem free.

It would be more appropriate for you to post in the “Build under Windows” thread where you will find others with the knowledge to assist you.

stickman
    Participant

Silent: we have a small community here. jbh50 is amazing in the sense that he shared his knowledge of compiling and enhancement with the rest of us. It would be nice to follow his instruction (so he could help you more easily), or as he said, if you do not wish to follow, then you probably try to figure it out on your own. What you are essentially saying is, “no, i don’t wish to follow your way, let’s do it my way, but help me anyway…” There is nothing wrong to do it your way, probably better that way, because you are not blindly following other people’s example (more creative), but to expect others to help you, you need to be a little bit more creative. You mentioned yourself, sometimes simply asking a question can help you to think and find the answer yourself. That’s not uncommon. Did you ever realize that sometimes by asking the right question, it not only help others to help you, but also help yourself solve the problem. This applied to myself too. For example, I did look through your questions, but I have no idea how you got those output, do you expect we reproduce your environment and try?

On the other hand,

jbh50 and a few others, there is no doubt that you guys are great contributors, however, please also be a little bit patient with the rest of us. I am not so sure whether you guys have kids at home, if you do, you will realize no matter how “right” you are, if you don’t treat them with respect, they will not respect you or pretty soon, they will leave you.

stickman
    Participant

Silent:

This is how I setup mine: for devkitPro, in c:devkitPro
    For mingw, in c:mingw

I have also installed cygwin prior to my experience with wiimc comiplation (started approximately 1 months ago) in c:cygwin.

For the wiimc souce code, I don’t think it really matters where you put it.

If you insist on using your own paths and you are using windows 7, you could use symbolic link:

cd c:>
    c:> mklink /D devkitpro path-to-devkitpro
    c:>mklink /D mingw path-to-mingw

This will probably get rid of some of your issues.

stickman
    Participant

@jhb50 wrote:

I guess I need to say it again.

“I continue to compile the latest SVN’s correctly using the Expanded Windows Compile Guide instructions I have published above.”

That includes svn658 as updated 58 minutes ago.

I provided this Enhanced Guide thread for those who newbies who need a basic set of working instructions so that they could have access to the Enhancement Pack without the clutter of problems being encountered by those who choose to do it differently. Unfortunately you are cluttering it with problems of your own making which does nothing to reassure others that the Compile Guide is correct and that Compiling WIIMC is easy and problem free.

It would be more appropriate for you to post in the “Build under Windows” thread where you will find others with the knowledge to assist you.

jhb50, I was able to compile svn647, with a few problems with mkv files. Another problem is it returns error when I tried to access the onlinemedia, I could access it with svn595 compiled with your enhancement pack. Do you have the same issue? Any guess why?

I will try to compile the newest svn, and will report back my findings soon.

Update: I successfully compiled svn659 (the newest one), however, still the same issue, online media file could not be found, but it’s really there.

update 2: Found the problem, it’s trying to access onlinemedia configuration file in the wiimc-plus directory. After I created the file there, no more problems.

Thanks.

cadbusca
    Participant

I can only refer you to the instructions that came with Enhancement Pack IV – http://www.wiimc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=874#p3673

“Another change with 1.1.0 is the hardcoding of the directory containing the various files used by WIIMC to “wiimc”. WIIMC no longer uses the directory from which the WIIMC application was loaded. This is actually a good thing because you can now change the application directory and use a common set of files. In order to keep the Enhanced Version separate I have hardcoded it to “wiimc-plus” so if upgrading you must copy your latest WIIMC Plus files (settings.xml, onlinemedia.xml, playlist, restore_points, and the css directory) to “appswiimc-plus” so they will be available to your enhanced application once compiled and installed.”

Problems with playing mkv files have nothing to do with compiling WIIMC. Bugs with the features of WIIMC should be tested with the standard version and reported in the bug tracker.

“4)With both the standard and enhanced WiiMC available to you, I ask that you agree to only report problems and bugs on the WIIMC forum that can be replicated using the standard” WiiMC” application and you agree not to report any problems encountered with the enhanced “WiiMC Plus” application that are not reproducable with the standard version. Please restrict any Enhancement Pack issues to PM’s to me.”

Again I can only assure users that the Enhanced Compile Guide instructions are correct and result in a working up-to-date version of WIIMC. Similarly the Enhancement Pack patch may be applied correctly up to the SVN level it was released at without conflict by following the instructions in that Pack.

stickman
    Participant

@jhb50 wrote:

I can only refer you to the instructions that came with Enhancement Pack IV – http://www.wiimc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=874#p3673

“Another change with 1.1.0 is the hardcoding of the directory containing the various files used by WIIMC to “wiimc”. WIIMC no longer uses the directory from which the WIIMC application was loaded. This is actually a good thing because you can now change the application directory and use a common set of files. In order to keep the Enhanced Version separate I have hardcoded it to “wiimc-plus” so if upgrading you must copy your latest WIIMC Plus files (settings.xml, onlinemedia.xml, playlist, restore_points, and the css directory) to “appswiimc-plus” so they will be available to your enhanced application once compiled and installed.”

Thanks. I have read that. But the funny thing is that I was compiling the standard version, at least I thought so. I did some patching in order to compile svn595 (the enhanced version), than I clean up the patch (I may have missed some files) and updated to svn647 and beyond.

Problems with playing mkv files have nothing to do with compiling WIIMC. Bugs with the features of WIIMC should be tested with the standard version and reported in the bug tracker.

“4)With both the standard and enhanced WiiMC available to you, I ask that you agree to only report problems and bugs on the WIIMC forum that can be replicated using the standard” WiiMC” application and you agree not to report any problems encountered with the enhanced “WiiMC Plus” application that are not reproducable with the standard version. Please restrict any Enhancement Pack issues to PM’s to me.”

Again I can only assure users that the Enhanced Compile Guide instructions are correct and result in a working up-to-date version of WIIMC. Similarly the Enhancement Pack patch may be applied correctly up to the SVN level it was released at without conflict by following the instructions in that Pack.

I will have to do a new build this weekend start from fresh, make sure there is no remnant of the enhancement patch – to get a clean standard build, afterwards, I will do another build with your enhancement patch. Will report back with any findings. Thanks for your help.

cadbusca
    Participant

I’m not sure I understand you. You seem to be making it complicated.

As per the EP agreement and the 1.1 changes you should have an apps/wiimc and an apps/wiimc-plus.
    The apps/wiimc will have the files used by the released WIIMC and the apps/wiimc-plus will have those by the EP version (ie: settings.xml will have all the EP options too)

If you compile the SVN, that boot.dol goes in app/wiimc and it will look there for its files.
    If you merge the EP and compile, that boot.dol goes in app/wiimc-plus and it will look there for its files.

Once the Enhancement Pack is merged it is simple to remove it and revert to the pure SVN. Just Right click on WIIMC/source, select Turtoise SVN then Revert, select all and Ok. If the menu is already empty it means that you are already at the pure SVN copy.

At any time you can get any SVN version. Just Right click on WIIMC, select Turtoise SVN then Update to Revision…
    and enter the SVN number. If the EP patch was already merged, it will remain merged with the new SVN, although if there are conflicts they will be identified and must be resolved. You may find it easier to first revert, update the SVN and reapply the patch, solving the conflicts as part of the merge process.

When I compile the varous versions I also rename the WIIMC/wiimc.dols to Rnnn-0.dol or Rnnn-EP.dol so that I always have all the dols available and I can copy and rename them to apps/wiimc and apps/wiimc-plus as I wish.

Bottom line, it is simple to switch between SVN’s and get patched and unpatched versions. As posted the current EP patches without conflict to SVN606 and effective with SVN607 the EP needs to have its “global” option numbers increased by one to reflect the addition of a new “global” option in the released version. If you choose to do this rather than wait for EP V (although I see no pressing reason to do so in the SVN’s) then you should use Turtoise to Create a (new EP) Patch that you can then continue to use without conflict with subsequent SVN’s.

Perhaps you already know all that but I thought I would spell it out in case others are unaware of this simplicity.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 216 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Lost Password